Author Topic: May be calling it quits  (Read 3941 times)

Offline seider

May be calling it quits
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:43:43 pm »
I do not have alot of time for knapping have not even had time to hit a rock at all lately.  With  work and the ranch the only rocks I have hit are the ones at the bottom of the holes I am digging. That and the last time I tryed to make a point I know its just a rock but frustrating when it does not work out and you know you can..  Need to get inspired again 
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: May be calling it quits
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:55:48 pm »
Yup, I know the feeling.  Went from 20 bows a year down to 2 in the last 9 months or so. 

And interests change, too.  I don't run to every mountain man rendezvous for 500 miles like I once did.  I do one, maybe two events a year.  Sometimes when I look at the thousands of dollars worth of gear I feel a twinge, but that's life. 

There is nothing wrong with questioning your priorities, so long as you are honest with yourself in the end.  Take care of you and yours, knock a rock when you have a few minutes to spare.  No judgement here.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:07:24 pm »
I know where you're coming from Seider, but for me it was bows.

It's been about 4 and a half years but I finally managed to get my first bow as good as finished only quite recently.  That (and making arrows) has opened the floodgates for me and now I've got about another SIX projects to do - with another 3 or 4 ash staves for when I finish them.

As Jaydub said - it's all about personal priorities and, for me; it was very much a case of needing my head to be in the right zone before I'd even think about picking up a scraper or drawknife.  I hope your inspiration finds you soon :)

Offline seider

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:04:02 pm »
I am going to sit down this weekend and see what I can't bang out we will see how it
Comes out.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 07:31:55 am »
All I can tell you Seider is to get a turkey roaster and heat some of that rock you sent me and give it a try. Night and day difference in knappability! I just cooked my first batch and it is great stuff.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline anasazi

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 08:45:33 pm »
If you need some more time id be happy to take a ranch off your hands ;D.
As far as breaking rock if you end up with more than debris you are one up on me i rarely can i get a point out of a rock 

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 09:57:10 pm »
OK, don't give up , just drive here, have a few beers, reminisce with old acquaintances,& Knap!!!!!!!!!!!!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline seider

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 11:16:04 am »
I sat down the other day at work during lunch and made alittle point not the best I have made it would poke a hole in something..

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 12:03:38 pm »
Where's the picture man?
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 06:22:17 am »
   KNAPINGS LIKE ANYTHING ELSE.
  If you really want to do it you'll find time.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline seider

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 12:54:17 am »
I gave it to a boys friend of mine that loves rocks.. He is only 7 and I made him a bopper while they were there so he can hit some rock.  Told him  to be sure and wear glasses when he was knapping

Offline seider

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 01:05:15 am »
I gave it to a boys friend of mine that loves rocks.. He is only 7 and I made him a bopper while they were there so he can hit some rock.  Told him  to be sure and wear glasses when he was knapping

I did have a pic on my phone

Offline Tower

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 01:58:25 am »
Sweet! It would have been perfect for making something bleed.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 08:45:32 am »
Heck yeah Seider! I think that is the same material that I heated and it turns a nice tan with splotches of reds and knaps like glass :)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline seider

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 12:18:41 pm »
I still have not treated any of the rock i get around here.. Running low on it though need to ride a back road and get some more i guess. My boss has some land back in that area and he said I can load up all I want out there.. He cleared out a spot to build a shop I went out to weld it up for him and there was flint everywere......