Author Topic: Concealed handguns for teachers  (Read 27113 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Concealed handguns for teachers
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2013, 12:40:40 pm »
I live in a free country. My ancestors came here from Europe in the 1700s. Members of my family fought for that freedom. Both of my Grandfathers fought in WWII. The price you've paid is no higher. My father and grandfather taught me about guns and shooting and hunting. But, that's not what we're talking about.

My point is... Americans and Canadians have different attitudes about guns. Those choices have consequences. If you're not happy with your current situation, change it. You're either part of the problem, part of the solution, or part of the scenery. America has a serious problem. You need to fix it. You can't do that until you admit you have a problem.

Anyway, as I've always said, I'm not looking to offend anyone... just provide food for thought. I don't think I can add anymore to the point I'm trying to make, so I won't.

I think it would be more precise to say that Americans and SOME Canadians have different attitudes about guns, certainly not all of them
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2013, 02:01:00 pm »
Point taken... I meant generally we have different attitudes about guns. Pretty tough to say ALL.

This is a very contentious issue. I am a bit surprised it was allowed at all by Admins & Mods due to its political nature, but I think we have managed to agree and disagree with civility for the most part.

I don't think as a Canadian that I'm going to change the mind of many Americans, but I don't have to be American to have an opinion. Americans have strong views on their constitutional rights, including firearms. I'm not saying that is bad. There is good and bad with all of it, including our very restrictive gun laws. Guns are not going to go away, gun owners are not going to allow them to be taken away... what we have to do is to learn to live with them with some intelligence and common sense. Whether this can be achieved at all is up to every individual gun owner.

I will say again... no offense to ANYONE. Just healthy debate... like vinemaple said... no winners, no losers.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 02:42:12 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2013, 05:38:28 pm »
Safe storage is an attitude, which you can't legislate. Even with existing laws, you can't guarantee it... here in Canada or the USA. How did the young fellow who shot up the school recently get his hands on assault weapons? They were available, and not locked up... regardless of where he got them, stolen or otherwise. Responsible gun ownership starts with every individual.

I've already offered some stats to back up my opinions. Go back and read them. Murder rates with firearms in Windsor/Detroit. Those are hard facts, illustrating my point.

I would ask you to do the same, if that's important to you.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2013, 07:27:11 pm »
Quite frankly I think that having at least one teacher well trained and licensed to carry concealed in the schools to be a good idea.  Having the requirement that this teacher be extremely well trained and licensed would weed out those that are not all that committed to the task.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Roy

« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2013, 08:49:43 pm »
If our government would stop sending $$$ aid to foreign countries that continue to stab us in the back. And they send way too much of our tax dollar's over seas, instead of sending it to our states that could really use the help.  There would be resources to place an armed guard in every school in our country, or supply one local law officer in the community to be a guard at the local school in their area. Heck just parking a police car out front of the schools could help. I don't think every teacher should be carrying a side arm, some are not capable of using one. The problem is not with gun laws, or locking up our personal weapons,  all criminal's or wacko's  could care less about laws, and they can buy a weapon on the black market anytime they want. It's sad, but shootings like happened at that SCHOOL ARE GOING TO HAPPEN. Just like the Boston bombings.  What really sucks is our justice system. How many millions of dollars are spent in lawyer fees and trials every year and keeping the criminals in jail for years, when you know damn well they are guilty. I say hang them high and be done with it.

Sorry guys but that's how I feel. I own guns and have ammo , the guns are are empty and ammo is locked up, and when the grandkids are here I keep a close eye on them. But I pitty the poor bustard that tries to break into my house or harm my family. There will be NO trial. But that's just how some of us roll. Life really sucks sometimes. And these discussions could go on forever and prove nothing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2013, 10:39:03 pm »
Remember when there used to be insane asylums for real, crazy people? ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2013, 11:41:19 pm »
Ronald Reagan shut them down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC