Author Topic: New Guy! from the PNW.  (Read 4611 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

New Guy! from the PNW.
« on: April 18, 2013, 01:37:09 pm »
      Hello and thank you all for the great information I have been finding on here, and on some of other sites, that I see some of the same faces. A little about me, I have been hunting since I was 8 (1st deer) all rifle until 96 I started hunting with Black Powder, primitive ( I thought).
 Now I have built my 1st bow pulling hunting weight it's a Yew bow pulling 43# @28", I don't have all the dims or pics no camera yet. I have made a sinew string and have been experimenting with arrow wood. I have started to lean toward ocean spray (iron wood) for shoot arrows and have found an unexpected source for old growth fir (100yr old barn boards) these almost look too store bought. I want to kill a deer / elk maybe with all home made equipment. 
Is there any information on traditional archery clubs, shoots, meeting in the Pacific North West? I have been to our local archery club, Cabala's and every other archery shop I can find here and it's all set up for compound. Most do not have much if anything on the shelf for traditional. 
Sorry for rambling, Look forward to learning more from you all, Happy Hunting!

Thank you Ed

It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: New Guy! from the PNW.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:51:27 pm »
Another yew source! Welcome to the club Ed. you'll like it here.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 06:17:43 pm »
Ed, there are a lot more resources out there than you realize. Both in your backyard and on the Internet.

For traditional supplies that I can't make, I usually use 3rivers archery. It's a family run business that has their stuff together. I have no complaint from any of the numerous purchases I've made thru them. However, they are not the only "store" out there and I encourage you to do your own research and, even better, make it yourself if ya can.

Any archery related questions you come up with can probably be answered by someone on here, so don't be afraid to ask. Have fun and please get a camera! We love pics!

Scott

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 06:21:31 pm »
Welcome to the forum.
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 06:54:49 pm »
Thank you all. It's nice to get to talk to people with like interests. and do some drooling at the fine art work on here.

Pearl, I have been looking for Yew and have a few friends (loggers) on the look out for me some Yew. I think I may focus on Vine Maple (its a weed) here, and iron wood / Ocean Spray. I will be looking into a camera.

Stringman, thank you for the feed back. I have been making pretty much all my stuff by hand, I just like to be hands on so i can figure out how to make more stuff and get ideas.

Thanks Scout76
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:23:27 am »
What part of the Pac Northwest?  There are quite a few regulars (and even more irregulars) in here from that area. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:12:36 am »
JW, I'm just about 1/2 way between Portland OR, and Seattle WA.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Paul F

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 06:17:41 pm »
Welcome to the board.

Paul F.
The first part of doing anything, is getting up off your ass.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 10:47:57 pm »
Huh, whadya know, I got family in that area. 

Anybody in his neighborhood?  We got someone from Kelso that used to come in here from time to time, but I can't remember his name. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 08:14:07 am »
Welcome to the site. Brian Melton is out your way in Montesano, Wa.  Brian has been cutting and selling staves for quite a few years and is a good source of wood in your area.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 05:23:56 pm »
Thank you all.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,