Author Topic: Traditional longbeard  (Read 4406 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Traditional longbeard
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:18:26 pm »
It's not primitive yet, I'm working on a yellar bow now that's shaping up... 

So for now I have to post in the campfire... :)
I had baby duty this morning, I really had the itch, I heard 7 gobblers from my deck this morning on the roost.  After hanging around the house all morning, my wife and daughter went to the baby shower at 2:00, I headed to the woods!  I had a blind already set.  I took my mounted hen decoy "Ugly Betty" and my Herway XRTD longbow, my camera and tripod.  I got in the blind hwich is in a small clearing in the woods, maybe an acre in size on the top of a ridge.  It has been typically a great midday spot over the years.

I gave a few soft yelps with the diagphragm, nothing,  again 5 minutes later, nothing..  I switched t0 a slate and purred and clucked and got a gobble!  It was pretty far off, but usually a gobble at 2:15 in response to a call means business!   I hit the slate agin, nothing...  Switched to a high pitched box call, nothing...  waited abit, then got the rasy box, he gobled, hadn't moved any though..  T

This routine went on for what seemed like forever, then I though I heard a jake yelp...  Well I have a box that is notorious for bringing in jakes, I gave a few slow jake yelps with it,..... Gobble!!  Now I hen yelped and jake yelped roght after it.., double gobble!!

I shut up, he gobbled on his own closer... I yelped and he was committed, a closer gobble...  I shut up and turned the camera on, record...  I could hear him spitting and drumming, but couldnt see him yet..  then here is the jake, he yelps, and I could see the fan behind a tree!  The gobbler strutted right to Betty, and I drew and released the Bullhead, concentrating on his caruncles... The top limb of my longbow hit the roof of the blind, sounding like a rifelshot.. the arrow struck it's mark but to my surprise it bounced off instead of decapitating him.  He jumped ot the right, I purred and grabbed a second arrow..

He was walking wierd back the way he came and my second arrow missed by an inch or so to the left..  He was now out of sight..  I sat patiently listening, knowing to pursue him would end badly..  In less than 10 seconds he was flopping, just out of sight, I'd cut his throat after all...

It took over 2 hours to entice this old bird to the 10 yard shot..

1.5 inch spurs, 24 pounds, 10 inch beard...

Offline seabass

Re: Traditional longbeard
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:28:14 pm »
nice job buddy.that is one big gobbler.what happened to that black locust bow you was working on?
Middletown,Ohio

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 10:43:31 pm »
Awesome job Joe ;)   :D    congrats

Offline Don

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:57:46 pm »
Good for you. Congrats. ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 10:58:00 pm »
Nice bird.  Way to go.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 11:20:32 pm »
Congratulations Joe! Bow kill is a bow kill to me and what a challenge/feat!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Adam

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 11:30:21 pm »
Great job!  I love good turkey hunting stories.  That is quite an accomplishment.

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 05:26:56 am »
nice job buddy.that is one big gobbler.what happened to that black locust bow you was working on?

It took some set when I started bending it, so it wasn't dry enough I assume?  I set it aside to dry.
I roughed out a maple stave, and set it aside, then I started working on the skinny stave I traded blackhawk for...it's looking like a bow.

Of all the woods I've put the drawknife on, osage works easiest for me.  It's harder, but works better.  I see why so many consider it the "King".

Thanks for the congrats folks.  I've missed 3-4 gobblers just about every year since I started trad hunting them.  I only shoot for the head/neck  this one cooperated, and I like the outcome!

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 08:50:00 am »
Good job.

Offline Roy

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:26:34 am »
Congrats..

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 09:40:21 am »
Congratulations and good play by play account of the hunt!! That grin says it all!! ;D
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 10:25:29 am »
Doesn't get much better than that. Good hunting and an impressive bird Wapiti, congrats man. 8)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline lowell

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 03:07:49 pm »
Congrats....good hunt!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 04:00:54 pm »
Nice bird .......... Way to go Joe
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 07:25:47 pm »
Nice job joe! I saw 4 or 5 other hunters cutting me off from the bird I was calling this morning. The bird was in range but outta site. The hunters were outta range. :-[
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN