Author Topic: Tanning Hides  (Read 18202 times)

Offline Jesse

Re: Tanning Hides
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 12:46:47 am »
The way I remove the hair is put it in water till the hair comes off. A stream works good. Put some rocks on top so it doesnt float away ;D. Putting it in watter takes a long time and is smelly but you get a nice hair free rawhide.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 10:47:01 pm »
Putting the hide in water and ashes from a fire will remove the hair  ;).
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 03:14:08 pm »
Is there any way to do a Hair off Tan Job ....where it don't stink up the whole Garage?? I use water and lime....in a 55 gallon Plastic Trash Can....and within a week...it smells like there is a Dead Body in the Garage....and the Hair is still not slipping....also I would like to hear of a perfect way to make Deer rawhide....because I use a lot of it for Bows....Handles Backing and Quivers
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 10:18:44 pm »
I like to dry scrape. No smell. No wet, slimy hide. No wet, frozen hands. Just rack it up and flesh it, let it dry a few days, then scrape the hair and grain off with a sharp scraper. Works good for buckskin or rawhide either one. And another advantage-you don't have to scrape it all at once- you can work on it a few minutes here and there until its done.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

joeturc

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 03:24:02 pm »
Go to this site... http: //rittelsupplies.net/Free_Downloads _folder/EZ-2000%20Instructions.pdf You will find all the info you need. It's not traditional but it's one of the best "consumer" tans you can get.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:01:51 pm by DanaM »

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 09:38:45 pm »
Go to this site... http: //rittelsupplies.net/Free_Downloads _folder/EZ-2000%20Instructions.pdf You will find all the info you need. It's not traditional but it's one of the best "consumer" tans you can get.

Link doesnt work....not even after I added www.    so I went to rittelsupplies
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:05:52 am by DanaM »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Texas Pete

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 10:45:42 am »
TY jamie Ill try it that way... and thanx for the egg bit Thats something I didnt know....can you actually use eggs for the whole process??

You can also use Neatsfoot oil..  Pour about three capfuls in about three gallons of warm water and soak the hide in it.

Its worked for me on several occasions

Texas Pete

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 11:05:25 am »
I disabled your links, they are not paying advertisers therefore links to their sites are not allowed,
this is a courtesy to the paying advertisers.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Slaughter

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 10:11:23 am »
Thanx Pete......How long do you soak it, and Do you just dry it after or do you still need to work the hide a little, a lot??

Tony

joeturc

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 12:42:32 am »
Sorry I wasn't trying to give a free plug to the above company. I have been doing taxidermy for a while and there are many ways to preserve hides but for the most part a good tan involes a few commerically made chemicals. Brush on's are good but soaks are better.