Author Topic: Stitchless Leather Handle Wrap  (Read 320686 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Stitchless Leather Handle Wrap
« on: April 22, 2013, 12:45:59 am »
I had an idea a while back for a way to join a seam in leather without anything but the leather itself.  The idea is similar to a zipper.  I finally got a chance to try it out on a handle wrap, and was quite happy with how it ended up.  Rather than trying to explain it all, I'll let the pictures do most of the talking and answer any questions after.

From experimenting on some scrap, I found that the hole diameter has to be slightly larger than half (edit) the distance between the holes.

Notice in the pic below, I did not cut out toward the edge on the top and bottom holes along the left side.  This keeps it from "unzipping" when it's put together.

You may need some pliers to pull the first and last tabs through the holes, since they are not cut open like the rest.

Once it's started, just alternate tucking the tabs under each other.  When you get to the end you might have to use pliers again.  You want the first and last tabs to be as wide as you can possibly fit through the holes, since they are basically what hold the whole thing together.

You can tool and/or stain the leather how ever you like.  This wrap was a nice snug fit, so I had to use some saddle soap to lube it up enough to slide it onto the widest part of the bow's grip.

You're welcome!   ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:37:41 pm by Cameroo »

Offline bow101

Re: Stitchless Leather Handle Wrap
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:36:31 am »
You Crafty fellow you.........like I say "Imagination Is Imagination Does"   8) 8) 8)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline heartrnurse

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:06:32 am »
Very cool!!  Is there any difference in determining the size since the leather interlocks?  Great job in ingenuity!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 02:14:44 am »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline dmc

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:41:36 am »
Wow, I love seeing the stuff you do with leather. Great job!
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 01:49:12 pm »
that is a great idea Cam
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline hatcha

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 03:25:36 pm »
Very nice, Cam!  Thanks for the tutorial ;)

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 03:57:53 pm »
brilliant
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 05:20:03 pm »
Thanks guys.  I was so happy it worked out I just had to share it!

Very cool!!  Is there any difference in determining the size since the leather interlocks?  Great job in ingenuity!

There are several variables that you have to take into account, including the size of the holes that you punch, the thickness of the leather you are using, and how much of a "tab" you leave underneath the joint.  You could figure the size out by trial and error, or if you are an engineer you could do some complicated math, but this is how I figured it out.  I had a couple scrap pieces that I had used to test the idea.  I "zipped" them up, taped them tightly around where the grip would end up being, and then unzipped the leather from the front.  Then it was just a matter of measuring to get the correct width.  As far as the length, just match it to your handle.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 11:55:05 pm »
I was really liking the while design until I realized what a shoddy workman I am when it comes to exact measurements.  Then I was depressed realizing yet another wonderful handle wrap would be impossible for me to acheive. 

But then you pulled it from the ashes!  Yes!  I definiteluy have to try this grip some time.  It would lend itself to tooling in some celtic or viking designs, wouldn't it?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Adam

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 12:13:59 am »
I really like the look of that!  Great idea.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 03:58:25 pm »
Glad I could help you out J-dub.  There are lots of things that could be done different with this - this was sort of just a "proof of concept" kinda deal.  Some tooling would definitely kick it up a notch!  When I finish my next heavy warbow, I'll definitely try something like that.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Offline rodlonq

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 08:51:29 pm »
Great design Cameroo, thank you for sharing it with us.

Cheers...... Rod

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 11:27:28 pm »
You clever devil! I was wondering how you did that when you posted that bow earlier. Thanks for sharing. What are you going to call it? Name it now and everyone from here after will know it as yours!

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 11:25:38 pm »
that is a really great idea..excellent.
a leather handle cover like that could be used on all kinds of things...thanks for sharing it!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...