Author Topic: Pith chamber position  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Jack Napier

Pith chamber position
« on: September 08, 2016, 07:30:09 pm »
Dear Fletchers,

Recently I've been making some arrow shafts from Chinese Privet shoots. Looking at the cross section of the arrow shafts, I can see the pithy chamber isn't dead on center. It's closer to one side of the shaft than the other. It's not trailing the edge of the surface or anything, but I have avoided planing that side of the arrow to avoid further narrowing the distance between the surface of that side of the arrow and the pith. I would like to know if this poses a safety hazard and whether or not I should throw the arrows out?

As always, your advice is greatly appreciated.
Jack

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pith chamber position
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 09:46:39 pm »
No, it should not be a problem or dangerous. Shoot shafts are less apt to break because of the growth rings surrounding the shoot. Dowel shafting has grain violations making them more apt to to break(not that they do). I've reduced the thickness of shoot shafting with a thumb plane and violated rings and small knots and never had a shoot shaft break when shot or even hitting a rock or tree. I have had one sourwood arrow loose it's spine after hitting a big oak tree. It never flew right again but was still straight with no visible defect.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Pith chamber position
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 06:58:36 am »
From my limited experience I totally agree with Pat. My only suggestion would be put the stiff side against the bow they always shoot better that way if there is a weak side.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise