Author Topic: Chert  (Read 8295 times)

Offline son of massey

Re: Chert
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 11:53:44 am »
  neat find, the closest thing i have seen is hammerstones in front of red lobsters.   ehkahk, (pleasantly) surprised to see you posting, stay around. SOM

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 11:56:43 am »
Here is one even worse as far as building supplies goes. There was a small office in downtown Stevenson Al that had been owned at one time by a guy who had a bunch of land in the area.  The story was he had excavated a mound on Long Island  near Bridgeport and found so many arrow heads that he decided to use them as the filler in the concrete sidewalk to his office.

Imagine my surprise when I first saw this sidewalk ( in the mid 70s)with arrows heads embedded in the concrete, not broken ones but some really nice pieces, thousands of them. The sidewalk was probably made in the 50s when projectile points were so common people considered them a curiosity but nothing of value.

An old guy told me arrowheads were so common near Bridgeport and South Pittsburg he would pick up pockets full along the river and skip them across the water because they skipped much better than ordinary rocks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 01:15:11 pm »
When the first bridge was built to Hilton Head Is. SC the earthen ramps up to the bridge and the causeway across the marsh were made from old NA shell ring material with lots of artifacts. On the property that most of my artifact collection came from, not far from the bridge to HHI, is now a high dollar plantation(Colleton River Plantation) and the golf course sits on the spot where most of the artifacts were found. The original owner's son found a 10" obsidian blade at the same spot. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 01:56:38 pm »
that will be either good medicine or you will be smited :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 03:43:58 pm »
Glad to see you posting Paul.  I sent you an e-mail awhile back but I guess you were busy.  Do you still have the same e-mail address?

The church is called the Pro Cathedral, don't ask me why it's called that.  It's present location is at the corner of Algonquin St. and Macintyre.  I know that was not its original location but was moved there.  The building is quite large and it's not uncommon to see spalls of chert laying on the ground that have recently cetached from the building.  There's also several large stones on the ground that were left over from the building/reassembly of the church.  It would be interesting to know where they got all the stone for the building
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com