Author Topic: Bow exploded - Critiques please  (Read 10519 times)

Offline bushboy

Re: Bow exploded - Critiques please
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2013, 05:48:16 pm »
The outers took set because the mids were over stressed.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline adb

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2013, 06:19:53 pm »
30" is a long pull for that design. Do-able, but everything would have to be perfect.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2013, 01:57:51 am »
A break like that looks like a moisture (or lack there of) problem. The heat treating might have killed it.  Go out and bend a nice green sapling and see what it looks like when it breaks. Now get a dry dead branch an do the same . Note the difference. All of the points about design are Excellent and quite valid, but if your bow were made out of green wood ,it would still be in one piece (would be a piss poor bow.......... but would have still bent) It's all about the ballance of design,wood selection, moisture content etc.etc.. IMHO. ....to dry from the heat was the proverbial straw.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2013, 01:17:53 pm »
I thought the break looked strange,which is why I included pics of it.  Perhaps a moisture meter is in order for next time.

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2013, 01:38:10 pm »
Bubbles,
I have found that the m/c has been below 5% on wood bought fron Home Depot and lowes. I just don't know how to rehydrate them yet. If anyone on this topic can help please let us know.
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2013, 06:05:48 pm »
Wood will regain some moisture in humid areas. Canada is typically very dry in the winter months for the most part. MC of the wood will drop dangerously low if you don't have a humidifier on your furnace. If your skin is getting dry ,so is the wood. Get a hygrometer. It will be of more practicle use than a moisture meter. (notoriusly inaccurate). There are charts to tell you what the MC of your wood will be at any give Relative Humidity and Temp. Cooking it just sealed the fate. You can't turn a raisin into a grape by adding water. A plump Raison maybe ,but not a grape. ;) You made yourself  a fruit snack! :D. If you make another maple bow now,and don't cook it ,you'll likely get a shooter. Follow the advice already given for design/dimension.