Author Topic: Flintknapping, Reproducing, Replicating, Ethics, and Copper  (Read 13650 times)

Offline Hunts with stone

Re: Flintknapping, Reproducing, Replicating, Ethics, and Copper
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2013, 07:11:27 am »
Hehehe, ya it all like rubbing three Pennies together to get A nickel. We need to add 2 cents. Gee I wonder how cool it  be to knapp mirco points with a penny. Ah just some copper funin. The more I look into it the more find on the subject. 😋

Offline anasazi

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2013, 09:15:47 pm »
Hear's your other 2 cents scientists use to know the world was flat regardless of the evidence before them. Finely with hard physical evidence before them and a lot of time some came around. With lithics its (in my opinion)  a whole nother story many tools have or could have deteriorated into oblivion and others well there is an awful lot of dirt out there to check and easy to miss something by only inches. Copper most likely wasn't used widely due to the fact it isn't found every where but who's to say some one some where at some point in history didnt use a piece of copper other metal they found and used it as a hammer stone or even for a pressure flaker? Maybe they didnt like it and tossed it on the ground in search of something better the only way to know would be to ask god the next time you saw him only problem would be coming back to let the rest of us know. Just my two cents im gonna go back to trying to learn with whatever i can get my hands on.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2013, 11:58:19 pm »
If rituals played a part in their life then maybe magic played a role therefore making an object from part of an animal might insure a transference of power. Very little attention is given to the importance of symbolism in knappin. Maybe copper was better but the magic was wrong. You might leave a stone but an object that contains a spirit might have to be managed carefully.  Just stuff you can't dig up.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2013, 11:03:00 pm »
Wow! My brain hurts :embarassed: I just like making points.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2013, 01:54:33 pm »
Since the term "replication" has been used to describe different approaches to flintknapping in different websites and books, with no distinct definition, I will use the term "reconstruction" to describe a form of experimental archaeology that is performed and recorded under strict scientific conditions and guidelines based upon the latest archaeological evidence.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline chief deer

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2013, 09:02:47 pm »
A question for so called abo knappers?  Do you use modern tools to cut or grind or sharpen any of the tools you use? Do you gather these tools yourself on foot without the ford 150?  I seriously doubt any points are made in a cold cave while hungry wet and cold with the intent of solving the last three problems.

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2013, 11:25:59 pm »
A non ( so called abo knapper ) will not be able to repy as he has no computor . Patrick your huge investment in time and effort in research is endless. Kudos!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2013, 04:45:58 am »
Since the term "replication" has been used to describe different approaches to flintknapping in different websites and books, with no distinct definition, I will use the term "reconstruction" to describe a form of experimental archaeology that is performed and recorded under strict scientific conditions and guidelines based upon the latest archaeological evidence.
Sounds like a good solution and foundation for dialogue on many techniques and processes found in the archaeological record.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:40:34 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!