Author Topic: Medieval Crossbow Hunting  (Read 4497 times)

Offline Stonedog

Medieval Crossbow Hunting
« on: April 26, 2013, 10:39:14 am »
OK, crossbows have divided the hunting community something terrible....

So....here is what I want to talk about....medieval crossbows.

Due to having two small, active children I simply do not have the time to shoot and become proficient and feel confident in taking game humanely.  Now I LOVE my ELB that I made myself....

So, I built a medieval crossbow (200# prod) with a metal prod, tickler (trigger lever) and period iron furniture and simple period claw and belt system.

Now with my crossbow I am deadly accurate out to 40 yards.  I shoot it instinctively only using a period peep sight to ensure the same eye and shoulder placement from shot to shot....other than that I use KY elevation and windage.

Am I still primitive?  Maybe primitive is the wrong word....traditional more like...or medieval at the very least, since this style of crossbow was used during the 100 Years War.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:08:30 am by Stonedog »
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Stoker

Re: Medieval Crossbow Hunting
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:48:53 am »
Not until we see pics of this bad boy...... >:D
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Roy

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 12:18:46 pm »
I would say if your shooting a crossbow, then your a crossbow shooter. Nothing wrong with that.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 01:20:45 pm »
Let's see the dang primitive, medieval, period weapon thingy already!!!   ;D ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 02:48:58 pm »
I second Jack. Let's see the goods.
As for what is primitive, most bows are made using modern tools, shops illiminated by electric lights, modern finishes, sythetic strings, etc, so are they really primitive? Crossbows date back to at least the 4th century BC, out of China. And your style of bow is contemporary to the heyday of the English warbow. And regarding crossbows and controversy, they used to excommunicate crossbow shooters, after all :) An ethical kill is always desirable, even if you go to hell later :).

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 03:20:02 pm »
Ya got me interested, lets see some pics!!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 04:13:00 am »
I'd love to see pictures ....  as far as primitive or not I'll let others decide. I think we waste to much time and energy hating another hunters weapon of choice??? If it's legal, use it if you want...............

Now a home made hunting weight crossbow good to 40 yards ....  now that's interesting :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 01:29:31 pm »
There's a medieval hunting group I ran across on the web... St. Hubert's Rangers. www.sthubertsrangers.org.

They're into medieval hunting re-enactment. Xbows, spears, bows, etc. Kinda cool.