Author Topic: First Self bow.  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

First Self bow.
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:12:30 am »
Well..... i'm getting into an osage stave I traded
Augie for.  And I split it in 1/2 (possibly thirds) and i'm making my first self bow. 

Where is the thread on doing that layout.  All previous bows were board bows.  It has some wavyness in it.. so working around that is what i'm after.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First Self bow.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 01:21:01 am »
I lay out my bows with the center of the 4" handle as the center of the bow. I add 2" fades then mark out the limbs. The difference in laying out a stave bow is finding a center line following the grain. Once you have that make a mark every 4" out each limb from the fades to the tips. At each of these marks you measure your limb width.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DGF

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 01:50:50 am »
Once you have that make a mark every 4" out each limb from the fades to the tips. At each of these marks you measure your limb width.

PD showed me a method to get an even limb thickness and taper utilizing a circle template. It has worked for me like a charm. Place the appropriate size circle with the stave centerline running through the center of the circle and trace. Do this up the limb for your desired width at all locations. Then simply connect the edges of the circles.

Lots of good information on the ferrets build along ( http://peteward.com/Articles/Ferret.osage.buildalong1.htm ) as well as others in or linked to from the how to and build along area.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 01:36:56 pm »

how do you know how much width at knots to give?  How much to you reduce width at the 4" Intervals?  On dry osage how can you tell that you are working with one ring?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 01:43:47 pm »
If the knot is gnarly and a 1/2"' round, add a 1/2" to the width in that area. All your doing is making up for stagnant wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.