Author Topic: Hey Girl! Yew Ugly!  (Read 4190 times)

Offline WillS

Hey Girl! Yew Ugly!
« on: May 04, 2013, 04:12:53 pm »
I've been on this forum for a while, browsing and asking the odd question.  I've only ever posted one bow so far - primarily because when looking at what the rest of you guys produce I feel like my attempts are pretty poor in comparison!  I'm in awe of the works of art you all post on here, and very appreciative of everybody's patience and help when dealing with a "newbie" like myself!

That being said, the latest bow that I've completed has made me so pleased that I really wanted to share it with you guys! This is an English yew longbow/warbow hybrid (probably not even a warbow actually, for various reasons so let's call it a heavy longbow!) that came from the ugliest, most defiant stave I'd ever seen.  It was heavily propeller twisted, badly deflexed and had the scariest knots and lateral bends I'd ever worked with.

I had to negotiate a nasty fork at the end of the stave which left me forced to heat-straighten right over a frightening knot, and there was also a chunky cluster of pin knots spreading onto the back of the bow, despite creating a snake around the area.  This thing is so ugly it's almost beautiful to me!  The fact that it survived my amateur advances, and made it back to 32" at a fairly high draw-weight is a miracle as far as I'm concerned, and has made me pretty chuffed!

I ended up heat straightening/heat treating this bow a handful of times (I've actually lost count of the number) as it just wouldn't behave itself.  The deflex was removed quite a few times using both heat guns and steam, and each time it went back onto the tiller most of the deflex came straight back!

I apologise in advance for the quality of pics, and lack of full-draw photos - very hard to do on your own but I'll rope my girlfriend into doing some when she finishes work hopefully! 

Here are the stats:

72" TtT
80#@28, tillered out to 32"
1 1/2" wide at the grip
12mm wide at the nocks
2" of set just off the tiller (I hate that, but considering how deflexed the stave was I'm gonna have to live with it!)
Most of the back is a single ring, the sapwood reduced from 7/8" down to 1/4" and just under/over in places, aside from where I had to play it safe around the worst knots.
Black Buffalo horn nocks (not entirely impressed with my nocks, but they're the second set I've ever made, and the first made in situ, while glued to the bow.  I'll refine them later, and thin them down)

Finished with a single coat of Danish oil so far, and I'll be recoating every day for a while.  Should pick up a lovely finish, judging by this first coat!

Anyway, enough nattering, here's some pics.  Again, will get full draw pics as soon as I'm able.

This is the only place where the sapwood ended up too thick.  I followed a single growth ring, and they spread out like mad at the center.  Looks worse than it is though.

The two pics below show where the fork at one end of the stave branched off, and I had to leave this scary looking thing right through the middle of the limb.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:16:15 pm by WillS »

Offline hatcha

Re: Hey Girl! Yew Ugly!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 04:28:16 pm »
Man, it's hard to believe that bow came from an ugly stave...  It looks pretty pretty, to me :D

Danish oil will make a very nice finish!  Be sure and use a scouring pad or a coarse sponge to apply the final coat ;)

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 04:30:50 pm »
I will bear that in mind! Thanks!

Just for the curious, this is a split off the original stave, so you can sorta see what I was working with! Shame that nice reflex kick didn't appear on the other one.  That's one of the forks that I had to straighten with heat.

Offline Markus

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 04:33:16 pm »
Pretty girl. Markus.

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 04:39:54 pm »
hey nice bow you got there. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 05:19:06 pm »
Yew "beautiful" is what you really mean... Thats one of those mouth droppingly nice bows right there,  ;D. I guess I got a little something for character in bows though.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 05:48:28 pm »
You dId that stave some serious justice nice work 8)
Always learning something new.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 05:55:09 pm »
C'mon dude where's the money shot?
That's a handsom bow... you don't want a ramrod straight laminate anyhow.
I'd say the edges of the nock gooves look a tad sharp. Get a needle file in there, ona on the sides especially bear in mind the string angle moves up and down from brace to full draw so you want it smooth and blended.
2" of set is no big deal especially if you've taker her out to 32"
Kudos on your perseverence. An easy one is nice now and again, but you's soon get bored if you were banging 'em out like shelling peas.
Nice one.
To get the education you've had from working that stave would cost you a fortune at a university ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 06:07:35 pm »
Couldn't agree more Del! Will soften the nock edges up.

Cheers for all the replies guys!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 06:17:31 pm »
Yew sexy is more like it........money shot?????? >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline WillS

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 06:26:29 pm »
Money shot is coming, I promise! If not tonight ('tis 10pm here in the UK) then early tomorrow. 

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 06:35:44 pm »
Yew Da man!
Looks like fine work to me, but look at what I post (not much) ???

Offline WillS

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 08:38:04 pm »
As promised, the money shot.  It's not quite at full draw, as it's just on my limit of comfort and the camera on the mobile phone takes a while to register, so it's the best we could do!

Not entirely sure why my arm looks broken (must have locked out?) and the tiller looks off somewhere.  I'm canting it a bit, and there were a lot of knotty areas to leave stiff / adjust for, but if anything looks suspiciously odd, please bring it up!  I think the tips both need to come round a bit more, especially the top one?

I really must invest in a decent camera!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 10:21:42 pm »
Looks good, but to me the handle is a bit bendy.
Hows the handshock?
I drew an oval on it. A circle makes it look even worse, plus its not circular.
I am just trying to point that out for you. Sorry if I sound negative. I like the bow, its amazing.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline WillS

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 10:45:54 pm »
Interesting.  When I drew a circle over it, I got this.  I've marked the two areas that had the most worrying issues, which is why they were left stiff.  Both limb tips need to come round a bit more, but I wasn't aware the handle looked so off.  More opinions folks!