Author Topic: Broadhead alignment  (Read 7980 times)

Offline Chuck Jones

Broadhead alignment
« on: November 06, 2007, 03:08:15 pm »
First time using woodies and I am just used to screwing the broadhead into the shaft.  I have some magnus snuffers three bladed type coming  and want to attach them to my cedar shafts.  What rules of thumb are there for attaching these broadheads?  My best guess would be one blade vertical in line with the string.....chuck
Chuck Jones San Antonio, Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Broadhead alignment
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 03:17:40 pm »
When I install glue on broadheads all I am concerned with is that they spin true. Horozontal or verticle makes no difference to me.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 03:55:31 pm »
Can that spinning process be done on a table top?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 04:02:59 pm »
Chuck, I usually spin the arrow on the tip of one finger, on my thumb nail or a callused part of the palm of my hand. That way you can feel as well as see if it wobbles.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Trapper

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 05:57:28 pm »
I personally like the two blade broadheads for wood arrows , but too each his own. I use the old MA 2s. they are very tough and have been around along time, I had a friend kill a big old Barbedoe Ram, and the broadheads he was useing were the tuskers from Australia,and he hit a bone and the broadhead bent, so I quit useing them, and Ive noticed that 3 Rivers no longer sells them.     I put all my heads on where they are laying like a airplane when nocked, I dont think it makes any difference, because they start spinning almost imediately.   Trapper

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 10:49:46 am »
Yah, like Pat B. said... don't worry how the blades line up, especially 3 blade heads, just get them spinning as true as possible. I usually spin them on a hard surface, because all the heads I use are cut on contact. Use ferr-l-tite, and just heat the head with a torch (with a small flame!), and keep turning it a bit at a time, until it spins true. Keep those broadheads sharp!! Touch them up often. Good hunting.

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 10:56:11 am »
thanks for the info I really appreciate it.  I was hoping I wouldnt have to buy some more stuff to get the job done.  Perhaps I can now get enough money together to get some staves shipped in.  I would really like to try a stave...chuck

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 05:39:05 pm »
   chuck,When I get home tomorrow,I'll take a picture of a simple little tool you can build to help with point alighnment.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 06:34:08 pm »
I put mine on parallel to the nock just because that is how I do it when I cut in a stone point.  I do it the same because I like to look down the arrow and have nothing unusual or different looking to distract me. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 11:10:31 am »
Mullet, thank you.  I have never tried this before it should be interesting.  I will try the other methods that have been listed too! 

Justin that does make sense to me.  I have the points now so I will do some expiermenting...thanks all.

I will put all my efforts into getting my commerical longbow ready to hurl some arrows.  I cant seem to make a self bow.  The last one was done and I drew it on the stick for the final weight and it broke on one tip.  The break started about mid limb.  I was so happy with this one.  It shot nicely.  I put about 40 arrows thru it and was excited to finish it off.  Oh well, either I cant do this or my wood selection was very poor.  Probably the latter.  Home depot has a crappy selection to choose from.  I have a couple of handle sections now....chuck

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 04:50:33 pm »
Chuck,Sorry ,I got home too late to take those pictures.well here it is.This is simply nothing but a short board with a roller cabinet latch on each end.You can roll it with one hand and look at it and adjust it with the other.It works pretty good and is cheap,about a dollar with tax.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 04:13:04 pm »
Thanks Mullet that looks like a good plan...and cheap too!..thanks...chuck

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 06:24:39 pm »
Dang thats way to simple ;D I was eyeballin the wifes rollerblades for the bearings >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 07:10:24 pm »
Dang thats way to simple ;D I was eyeballin the wifes rollerblades for the bearings >:D
What you going to do, make her stand on her head and hold real still?    ;D ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 08:08:26 am »
Hmmm not a bad idea Justin ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI