Author Topic: I need to make a short (ish) longbow  (Read 3057 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

I need to make a short (ish) longbow
« on: September 08, 2013, 01:43:51 pm »
So a friend has asked me to make her husband a longbow for his birthday. He is only 5'7" and so I'm thinking a 6' bow will be a bit much. He isn't a regular shooter so I don't think I want to make it too high a draw. I've been making hickory and maple backed Jatoba longbows but unless I make it very narrow (under 1") I'm thinking that a short one would have a higher draw. Which would be better, taper the limbs or make a Trilam with a lighter core?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: I need to make a short (ish) longbow
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 01:49:38 pm »
Make it his height. Start out at 1 1/4" and see how that goes. If you start getting too thin begin removing wood(tillering) from the sides. Even a 1" wide longbow is not unheard of. Some folks like narrow bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 02:25:36 pm »
 Already making 1" bows to get them the 30 lb draw these folks (SCA) like at 72". I'm thinking 3/4" will look kinda silly...

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 02:58:14 pm »
Why would a 72" ELB be too much for someone 5'7"? Longer bows are more comfortable to shoot and more accurate for beginners IMHO.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 06:19:16 pm »
I don't honestly know.
Has anyone ever done hickory backed Ashe? Ashe is lighter than Jatoba and I THINK makes a lower draw bow....

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 12:12:59 pm »
I don't honestly know.
Has anyone ever done hickory backed Ashe? Ashe is lighter than Jatoba and I THINK makes a lower draw bow....

I think you're thinking the wrong way. Regardless of material, you tiller a bow to whatever desired draw weight and length you want. I made my wife a hickory backed osage pyramid flatbow... 25#@26". That's all she can shoot comfortably. I could make a hickory backed osage flatbow to 80# if needed. The bows are proportioned appropriately. Material (for the most part) does not determine the end result... you do. That being said, I wouldn't make an 80# flatbow out of maple, but I think you get the idea. I also wouldn't make a hickory backed ash bow... they're both tension woods. Ash backed jatoba would be a better choice IMHO.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:56:05 am »
You have to remember I'm trying to make a bow that looks high draw ("warbow") but isn't. Ok on the Ashe though, guess this is becoming backing...