Author Topic: Some sticks just dont want to become a bow... ( pics fixed )  (Read 8126 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Some sticks just dont want to become a bow... ( pics fixed )
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 11:26:55 am »
Wow Sleek!! That stick is makin ya use all your skills... and prolly teachin ya some new ones, lol... Goodluck, lookin forword to more pics.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 02:51:56 pm »
Have you considered Toating the Belly?

Even with the TB III in there, toasting make take the TB III above the threshold of release to
The double tough stage?

Belly toasting Osage typically has net 8 to 10 pounds for me...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 03:25:48 pm »
I have toasted it several times. And it did bring the weight up but with being a perfectionist on the tiller for this bow, weight has been lost due to having to do some scraping. Tight bond doesn't seem to be affected by belly tempering heat by the way.... after it cools it still seems strong.

( Pardon my insult to the English language, I was typing on my phone and auto correct likes to invent its own spelling. )
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:58:02 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 11:55:03 pm »
Here is the splinter with the file pointing to where it ends, and then showing from the side where I lifted it up to fill in with glue.

Again here the little round file points to the splinter. This is a side view

Here is the tiller as she sits right now,

I have no idea what to do with this from here. I have several options. First one that is just screaming at me is to leave it be. But I just barely have an inch of set, string angle isnt at 90 degrees yet, and I am not at 40 # yet.

So pike another inch off, try to eek a bit more stiffness out with another heat treat, or flip the tips a bit for more limb strain, or glue on some high rising tip overlays to try and cheat a higher string angle. Opinions?

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 02:01:18 am »
Like you said Sleek, sometimes it just wants to be what it wants to be...that being said I'd go with even heat on those limbs and a slight flip at the ends, with some overlays...but I'm pretty crazy.  Maybe pike it way down and sinew that beast!

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 10:04:31 am »
Im sure you can eek more out of her....but... If your gut feelin is to let her be, I would listen to your gut ;)... To many times in life I have ignored my gut feelins and it never ends up good, lol... On the flip side it aint my bow and I would love to see how far you can take it.  >:D >:D... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 10:19:42 am »
Eh....keep going.....I need a good new toothpick  >:D

Offline sleek

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 10:29:36 pm »
I think I will press on. Cant chicken out after drawing a red line in the sand can we now? :D So rather than take it down another 2 inches, I think I will just flip the tips mildly. The upper limb will make things interesting because it forms a complete S inside about 7 inches. Never flipped a character tip before. Hopefully I gain the last few pounds I seek. I could be wrong but I think this bow is asking for sinew. But backing a bow with a hole is cheating isnt it? Not to mention I have no interest in sinew, though this bow does keep the thought in the back of my mind.

Blackhawk, you may get to see a toothpick yet out of this one...

Offline sleek

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 10:37:02 pm »
Based on experience, how much set will osage take before it gives up and breaks on an overstressed design with perfect tiller and wood?

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 08:25:44 am »
So I drew it back again today to 27" and heard it tick loudly. I took the wrap off and sure enough, that same splinter opened up. So I pried it up and out of there with a pocket knife completely peeling the splinter out. I then took sand paper and blended the gash around the edges very smooth and round. I also faded the entire length of the splinters gash it left gently back into the back of the bow. The fade is about 3 inches long. I went with the idea of a scarf joint. The longer it is per its depth, the stronger it is. I have pulled it several times back again and she still holds together. I will heat treat more soon. I need to stiffen the spot under where the splinter was, thn will most likely recurve it. Pics up soon, my phone bat is dead right now.

mikekeswick

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 08:43:40 am »
Mid limb out to the tips is stiff on both limbs.
Shortening it over and over again is only increasing strain because obviously it isn't getting any wider. Recurving the tips will achieve the same thing.
Your weight isn't going up because the belly cells are getting crushed due to the strain increasing.
Heat treating will really only increase the weight once in my experience. That's why it's really important to get perfect tiller early then heat treat as soon as there is any set at all (generally 5-6 inches off full draw maybe a little earlier) to get the most benefit.
Good luck  ;)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 09:58:50 am »
Looks fine to me. Nice! Thats one crazy knot!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair