Author Topic: Bison Horn Composite Bow Adventure  (Read 40173 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Bison Horn Composite Bow Adventure
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 10:13:57 pm »
Please don't make us wait much longer, but don't rush it.
Rushing kills everything.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Patches

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 10:12:10 am »
Nice job on the bows fellar!  You are welcome on the sinew, I got more if you need it.  I like the Cheyenne style youth bow.  I bet it fits her well!  ;)  You need to get her a reel for it and take her to shoot some fish in the swamps.  I can't wait to see the final products in person (and maybe please please get to shoot one...I will be careful I promise).  Keep us posted!  Excellent work!
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 10:21:34 am »
It looks pretty beast now! I really like the contrast between the horn and the osage. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!  :)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline anasazi

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 11:07:15 am »
Its looking great! Cant wait to see it finished.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 04:36:44 pm »
Heck yeah man this is one awesome post!

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 04:40:13 pm »
I am pretty sure I am not competent enough to make a bow like this and I really have more interest in "Woodlands" bows and OLD Euro bow, but this is making me want to try a plains bow like this!!!!   :o   :)   :o   ???
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 04:54:52 pm »
This is so cool. Thanks for posting pictures this is cool. Whered you get the bison horns?
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 09:03:08 pm »
The braced and shooting pix are of the bow I used the cut first and tiller later method.  Notice in the unstrung shot (inside on stair rail) you can see a gap under the bow on the left side.  The string is noticeable behind that gap. The Osage had a less than straight form.  So I had to keep that in mind as I tillered it.  The arrow is WAY too long for this bow.  Proper sized arrows will come later.  I measured a mark on my arrow and shot it in first by drawing back to 15 inches then 20.  I plan to work up to 22.  Why am I working up to it?  Because I'm like a first time bowyer all over again!  I feel my heart race with each draw and an exhilaration with each arrow pass.  This little bow has some serious pep.  I will measure it soon.

I need to dress this one up with a tassel and some felt/ leather affectations.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:09:52 am by swamp monkey »

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 06:19:50 am »
I'll be watching...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 08:03:35 am »
Good thread swamp monkey.Thanks for sharing.Have fun with that little rocket launcher.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 11:25:32 am »
Tomorrow afternoon I will pull out the scale and make an FD graph for the bow that I can brace.  Today, is family time but before we get at that, I wanted to mention I got further along on the second bison horn bow.  Below are pix of the core after I chased a ring and tillered it.  36" long, roughly an inch wide and it pulled 20# at 22".  Notice that side profile is flat.  I liked that a lot.

Last weekend I glued up the bison horn scales to the core.  I will unclamp that tomorrow afternoon, sand and take some pix to share. 

Enjoy.

Oh P.S.  I added a few pix to prior posts on this thread.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:37:46 am by swamp monkey »

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 04:58:32 pm »
Ha, what a joy to read, thanks a lot for sharing.
Because I'm like a first time bowyer all over again!  I feel my heart race with each draw and an exhilaration with each arrow pass. 

;D
great, isn't it. That's why I make bows rather than chairs. 
Don't shoot!

Offline PebblePlacement

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 05:29:41 pm »
Great thread! Great information! Great pictures! Great appreciation!

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 11:58:09 pm »
Horn scales glued on.  I have rough sanded to get uniform thickness, then scraped with a cabinet scraper, followed by 320 grit sanding.  I plan on using 400 grit before I wrap the joints in sinew.  Buffing wheel work should make this one gleam. 

Then sinew the back. 

Life is good.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 08:46:03 am »
This is really cool! Do you cut the horns from base toward tip to make the scales? Also, do you overlap or do a splice between scales or just butt up to each other and wrap with sinew? Thanks for this post. I bet we'll see more of these now that you got something started  ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:52:51 am by DuBois »