Author Topic: Natural mosquito repellent?  (Read 15016 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Natural mosquito repellent?
« on: May 08, 2013, 10:02:44 pm »
Every year I get more and more primitive, tackling another step closer to being all abo.  During the hot months here in FL (pretty much all deer season) I think I will be hunting primarily in shorts and barefeet (my simulation and substitute for a breach cloth).  The need for insect repellent will be ever more important. I'd like to collect and strategically grow some plants to rub on me or carry when I get to my hunting location.  I have been experimenting with beauty berry leaves with some decent results.  Anyone know of any other plants that I might keep an eye for down here and find naturally?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Newindian

Re: Natural mosquito repellent?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 11:38:44 pm »
Don't know if you have juniper over there but it's supposed to be a good repellant
I like free stuff.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 11:44:52 pm »
we have ornimental junipers, and Eastern red cedar which is a juniper I suppose..  berries or leaves work better? prolly whichever stinks more huh? lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Newindian

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 11:54:19 pm »
What I've seen people will use both put them in a spray bottle and then mash them up, or just let it soak. Good scent cover to.
I like free stuff.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 01:08:20 am »
Sassafras Leaves are supposed to work.
Never tried it my self.

Take the leaves crush them up a bit rub onto your skin.

Give it a try and let us know if it works.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 01:25:37 am »
Lol just get bit.  It doesn't hurt that bad haha.  I'm interested in what you come up with.  I work just by the mosquito lagoon and it can be like hell out there if you don't have deet.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 02:45:29 am »
Birch oil. Cedar.Tansy. Smoke.  Of the four ,I think only the last would be indigenous to your area. :D. Other than that, try not to sweat or breathe heavily.They are attracted to  carbon dioxide and stinky feet / sweat. They also like light coloured clothing. Where I'm from ,they've been known to drive men mad ,and they'll bite you through blue jeans. Good for you for going ABO ,but I'll stick with deet and headnets for now. ;)

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:57:20 am »
I'll stick with cedar and beauty berry for now. hopefully a good application will do the trick. I know clay mud would work too...but that'd be awful messy!  someone might shoot me for a skunk ape...however I'd definitely look the abo part being caked in mud.  then I could roll around in the leaves and have a guillie suit >:D
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 09:03:29 am »
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural-Health/Beautyberry-Natural-Insect-Repellent.aspx#axzz2SnK581vE          here is some info I looked up on beautyberry. I have tons of it down here. when I used it last week I admittedly didn't do a very good job on the application and got ate up.....but no where near as bad as before I applied it. They were out in scary swarms that day.. I was down in a wet bottom collecting clay and arrowshafts
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 10:01:50 am »
I have to say , even a liberal application of deet will only weed out the week and less determined of them, to the rest ,I think it serves as some sort of tasty sauce or dressing . Some just don't give a ----.

Offline robby

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 11:04:51 am »
Render some bear fat down into oil and slather it on real good.
Robby

Offline hatcha

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 12:25:09 pm »
Sugar water  8)

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 01:00:57 pm »
I've heard bannanas...  Or is that something that makes it worse? :o
Only one way to find out!   >:D  ;D
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 01:06:17 pm »
when I'm in the woods it seems the more whiskey I drink the less I get bit. go figure   8)

Offline bhenders

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 01:58:17 pm »
Mint is supposed to work as insect repellant.  Most non-DEET repellants now have some mint in them.  Also, lemon balm but I don't know if that is native to America.