Author Topic: Natural mosquito repellent?  (Read 15017 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Natural mosquito repellent?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 09:44:13 am »

Well, I personally, would not consider using deet, as it is nasty stuff, and it will get into your system through your skin.  But if you are slathering that stuff on yourself, you would be much better off getting a "Therma Cell".  I keep one in my truck at all times.  I just got back to Florida last week, and we had some rain, and the little tiger mosquitoes are out in force.  As for natural stuff, speaking of Crysanthemums , what about the other little orange flower, which at the moment I have a brain fart, and can't remember the name of it, but you plant them in the garden to keep insects away.  Astor?  Anyway, it is orange, and is an insect repellent.  Also speaking of soap, turpentine soap is supposed to repel mosquitoes.  There is a good video on You Tube about making turpentine, and it mentions making soap with turpentine.  But with the Eucalyptus and turpentine, as well as Australian Tea Tree Oil, you have a strong odor to deal with, if you are hunting.  I just prefer the Therma Cell, even hunting.  If I were stranded, and without one, I would probably use crushed pine needles.  But the cedar oil, and the other suggestions are good.  Cedar oil, is also good for getting rid of fleas on your pets.  But make sure it is natural, organic, and not synthetic, or mixed with other stuff.  Anyway, Ryan good luck.  P.S. what about using the leaves, or boiling the bark, of the nasty invasive Maleluca tree.  The bark can be used to filter water to purify it, as it contains something similar to tea tree oil, and is an anti microbial, and anti fungal.  It is a relative of the tea tree.

Wayne

Marigold?
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 11:41:43 am »
i have a thermocell but it seems just way too fancy and modern for me. I used it a few times...but I'm not convinced the floating area of repellent doesn't spook deer up close. I think it might actually spread out further than my natural scent since it is being heated, I think it floats out further.  My hunting is close 7-10 yards.  I always have used deet in the past and it works great but so greasy, nasty and stinky...killed a lot of deer up close and personal with deet on..just playing the wind.   I am wanting something that grows here naturally to crush and use. the beautyberry and cedars are native and plentiful and I think I have found the answer...however some of the hoggy areas around here are so scarey with mosquitoes, even deet doesn't deter them
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline stickbender

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 07:54:49 pm »
     Aha! Yes marigold!  Thanks, I appreciate that.  As for therma cell spooking game, My Lt. from the FD. is the one who told me about it, and he had four does, within ten feet of him.  I have had does within 15 to 20 ft.  It doesn't seem to bother them.  It does have a slight odor, but not much of one.  You shouldn't use it in a confined space, without proper ventilation.  But I love them!  Well if you don't want the fancy smancy modern technology, and want to stick, with all natural, you have plenty of choices now. ;)  You might want to try to mix them with something, like petroleum jelly, or beeswax.  Or a mixture of the two, to keep the repellent from sweating off. 

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:34:56 am by stickbender »

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 12:25:29 am »
Could always use a bug jacket and hood.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 09:11:48 am »
eat lots of garlic,I live by a mangrove marsh and the no -see- ums  will drive you crazy.I have been in the garden at dusk and smeared fresh onion or garlic on arms and legs ,it helps.But when their crawling in your ears, nose and eyes it's time to go in.
Bone pile

Venice Florida

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 12:23:20 pm »
I was Wondering when garlic was going to come into the post. Hi marinate garlic cloves with vinegar Taken  daily works well. You can also take the tablespoonful Vinegar daily to.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 03:46:55 pm »

Ah yes good ol Garlic, and vinegar!    Good for you, and gives you strong breath! :P Try to use the organic vinegar, with the mother in it. ;)  It is a lot more healthy, :).  It is good for the stomach also.  Many uses for vinegar, and for garlic also.
                                                         Wayne

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 10:31:13 pm »
Maybe someone has suggested this but good old heavily smoked brain tan keeps Iowa mosquitos away from me in the summer evenings here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 10:45:42 pm »
I big, ol', cigar works, too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?