Author Topic: Porta carpus ( yew relative)  (Read 16612 times)

Offline Badger

Porta carpus ( yew relative)
« on: November 11, 2007, 05:37:13 pm »
Does anyone know much about this wood, I have 2 10" logs very straight, It is supposed to be a relative of yew but the wood is all white wood. Steve

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Porta carpus ( yew relative)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:51:54 pm »
 Steve,Buddhist Pine,Podocarpus macrophyllus.It's native of Japan and China.They have some big ones in the county seat's downtown area where I live.I heard they make good bows and I've missed out twice when they cut some of the bigger trees down.They are very slow growing ,so trunks as big as you have are probally quite old.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 10:21:21 pm »
 Steve, there was a thread on here or possibly on PP that was on this wood. It apparently isn't related to Yew but just shows convergent evolutionary traits that make it look very similar. I believe it made a good bow.
 Pat

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 12:09:12 am »
I made a couple of bows from branches from it a few years ago, same trees I am now getting the trunks on. It did seem to have a good feel to the wood but the branches just weren't quite big enough for a true test. I do distincly remember that feeling I get when I start tillering a yew bow. From what I have read there are many seperate species of this tree but it does say it is yew related. Several mentions of yellow wood, but this wood is pretty white, maybe creamy color. Steve

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 12:54:15 pm »
Steve, there was a thread on here or possibly on PP that was on this wood. It apparently isn't related to Yew but just shows convergent evolutionary traits that make it look very similar. I believe it made a good bow.
 Pat
Convergent evolution, eh? You must have been a student of mine.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Rich Saffold

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 12:24:19 am »
Steve, I had the same experience as you. and I never got a chance at the trunk wood as it got hauled away before I could get to it..
Maybe Saturday?

Rich

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 03:01:48 pm »
Rich, the trunks are a little bigger than I thought, looks like they are about 15" and 13', I will try and get you some choice staves from it. Going to have to split them up on sight as I cant budge them off the ground. Steve

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 02:59:58 am »
The body isn't worth abusing just to get bow wood.. although sometimes that decision does get a bit clouded ::)

Far East Archer

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 06:17:30 am »
Badger,
That stuff is some good bowwood if it has good density, its really similar to yew from what I heard about yew (no pun intended :)) I have found both high density and low density pieces and it seems to vary mostly from the place it grew. So like yew if it was cut in high elevation or in a dark place it can be extremely dense! :o The bows I made were short recurved bows to medium length D bows with round bellies. This wood didnt take any set except for one occasion when I was in a hurry and didnt take time to dry the wood. If I could only get a long piece of it I would try to make a warbow out of it..... Have fun with your logs Steve! :) and dont forget to post some pics...please ;D

Alex

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 04:16:04 pm »
I started splitting the logs up today, splits like elm, seems I can drive two wedges in almost all the way before it starts to split at all. Took me two hours to get the bog log split then i was too pooped for the second log. The bark looks just like yew. But the wood seems much harder. Sopping wet so hard to tell about density at this point. Going baclk later and try and finish up. These guys who harvest and sell staves earn every bit of the money they charge for a good stave. Steve

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 10:04:13 pm »
 Pat
Convergent evolution, eh? You must have been a student of mine.
[/ quote]
 Definitely not a student but I do like to read a little bit. I hope I used the term correctly.
 As I understand it two(or more) entirely unrelated organisms evolve in a similar fashion and end up looking the same and occupying the same environmental niche. Some notable animal examples are the Thylacine(Marsupial Wolf) and the Fossa, a type of civet related animal that looks like a miniature cougar.

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 05:12:27 pm »
Pat, I dried a piece in the oven and checked the sg, looks to be about .75 so similar to hickory, really a beautiful wood, every growth ring is a different color, I roughed out a bow sopping wet just so I could get one tested out soon. Hopefully dry in a few weeks. If you look on the internet it does list porda carpus a a yew relative as opposed to convergent evolution. It does have a lot of similarities the wood color not being one of them. This is my first big haul of raw staves so I am excited and hopeful for it. Steve

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 11:54:35 pm »
 Steve, I didn't search too much but I don't find anything indicating it is closely related to Yew. It is a southern hemisphere tree that evolved independently from Yew, which is a northern hemisphere tree. I doubt it is more closely related to Yew than Red Cedar is.
 Pat

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 03:49:14 am »
Yew belongs to a group known as pinaphyta's. This includes the pordacarpai family. The berries are the same almost identical as well as the bark and leaves. I am not much on the plant science but all the sources I can find clearly state it is a yew relative. If it proves out to be good wood I will send you an elb sized stave to try out. Steve

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 11:10:52 am »
 Steve,  Of course in the broadest sense it is related but so is every other conifer out there. You could just as easily say white pine is related to Yew.
 I don't doubt that it will be good as the historical uses of the wood  make it look very promising. However I generally wouldn't just assume a wood will be good because of familial relation though. Alder and HHB are related, as are Manitoba Maple and Rock Maple.
 Thanks for the stave offer but remember I am in Ontario.
 Pat