Author Topic: Suffering My Ash Off...and Caught With My pants Down!!!!  (Read 5820 times)

blackhawk

Suffering My Ash Off...and Caught With My pants Down!!!!
« on: May 11, 2013, 07:23:08 pm »
well that got y'alls attention now didn't it  ;)

Friday after work I decided to go cut me some ash seeing how there isn't much left around anymore since the emerald ash borer has moved in and raped all the ash trees... :-\ I knew there where some storms coming but it looked like I had enough of a window to pull it off(more about that later)....I had this tree marked to cut this spring,but thought there was only two trunk sections,and I was wrong after knocking it down with my four year old son I saw it had four sections of trunk to split and carry it all out...

it had some decent rings for the bad soil(clay n rocks) around here...

I carried the first quarter out of the first section out,and i was hearing some rumbles of thunder..uh oh...I hurried and told my son to keep up before it hit us...well I got him back home dry before it hit...since the tree was down and my chips were all in,i had to continue rain or shine to get it all out...I went back and on my next trip out I heard a freight train coming with really close claps of lightning n thunder striking all around...oh crap...im thinking the worst and know what that sound means(a possible tornado)... so im moving with a quarter on my shoulders as fast as I can...but too late...I soon find out what that freight train was....golf ball sized hail came down in a fury pelting the $#%! out of me...yeah...it hurt and welted me...I just kept moving and coming close to the house my wife sees me asking if im ok knowing I just got caught with my pants down in it.... :laugh: ...after it passed we had to check for any damage to any property,but all was ok thank god...on my way back to get another quarter I stopped to take a pic of a piece of hail...it was ten+ minutes after it came down that I snapped this pic n it all started melting fast,but this gives ya an idea of what was hitting me in the head...lol

the rain only stopped for about 15 minutes then it did nothing but rain the rest of the night even after I was done....it was miserable fun....also on one trek out a big 50 foot+ branch came crashing down across my trail 15 feet before I crossed it...yeesh...what a night...I made 16 back n forth trips and when I added up the mileage it was just shy of seven miles....I kept thinking to myself ..I only do this kind of stuff for osage so this better be decent wood....I got about 30 bows out of this tree...this is what I looked like drenched from heat to toe(literally) when I finished getting it all

AND THIS IS WHAT I FELT LIKE!!!!!

You think I wood be smart enough and never do that again anytime soon....WRONG!!!...im a sucker and a glutton for punishment  ;D

today I went after a red oak....it made a nice boom hitting the forest floor  8)

I forgot my phone,and I took these pics after I had already split n peeled n carried out the first section of trunk...I took the first two sections of trunk

and i ended up with about 34 bows worth...lot of them have a piggyback split and or split in two again...not bad

ok..im done for today,and gonna go lay n recover on the couch for the rest of the eve  8)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:27:17 pm by blackhawk »

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Suffering My Ash Off...and Caught With My pants Down!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 07:28:11 pm »
Wow... Wow Chris I wish I had your energy!!!!!!!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 07:54:20 pm »
DANG! :o :)
Always learning something new.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:59:39 pm »
Whitewood?! Why are you wasting your time?  ;) Those are some good looking staves.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 09:02:38 pm »
Whooo..............That's right ,,I thought you were the Osage Man
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 09:05:55 pm »
Nice haul and story.  Glad you were not hurt.  Looks like the hail took some of the hair off the top of your head. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 09:07:13 pm »
What will we not do for a good piece of Ash...or Bodark....or Oak.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 09:24:01 pm »
Bill..i dont have any energy to spare today,but ask me tomorrow n I'm sure I'll have some to give ya  ;D

Yeah Ryan..its my wood for teaching newbies to learn on...no sense wasting good osage ;) ..OK..I might play with a couple too,but don't tell anyone..lol :laugh:

I wish it was the hail that took some hair off the top of my head Clint..unfortunately its just called getting old...lol

Slimbob your right about the bodark...but not sure about this other stuff

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 09:37:15 pm »
Nice! I like it.... except hail does hurt. Even penny size.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 09:44:36 pm »
If that hail would of hit you in the head before you went out it would of made you remember that you are the "osage snob"  :)

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 09:49:36 pm »
That's a lot of good looking white wood! If you are wondering if it was worth it, just know, the rest of us are drooling  :'(.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 10:03:46 pm »
Good job !!
I would like to have some Ash to work on !
It is all gone here and the one I did last year was not good Ash !
Real spongy soft even after heat treating !
Have fun
See ya at Marshall in a few days !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline okie64

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 10:19:49 pm »
Lots of good lookin wood there BH. Makes me tired just lookin at all those staves. I guess the ash borer hasnt made it down here yet. Our ash trees still look good.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 10:22:29 pm »
Nice haul Chris.

Offline rps3

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 12:20:32 am »
Nice haul for sure, and I feel like you look, having just put up my third full truckload of the other wood you apparently dont like anymore.