Author Topic: Thumb ring...benefits  (Read 6430 times)

Offline Forresterwoods

Thumb ring...benefits
« on: May 06, 2013, 03:29:49 pm »
Has anyone given the thumb ring more than a passing thought? I have but not by choice. About two years ago I my right hand ran straight into a running table saw blade. I thought my archery 'life' was over...along with my career. After a long healing process...both mentally and physically, I was determined to continue doing the things that gave me some fulfilment in life. I purchased Kay Koppendrayers Thumbring book. It's really a fun read and also very educational. I was astonished at how most world culture groups have used the thumb as the drawing tool for thousands of years...and still do. It's easy to make out of antler after seeing some pics in Kays' book. The most difficult part was learning to shoot from my normal left side. After 30 years of instinctive shooting, NO way was I going to shoot from the right side. Well I figured out what works for me. After I place my thumb and ring around the string, I grab the end of my thumb with my middle finger rather than my pointer finger. I found the knuckle of my pointer was pushing against the arrow BEFORE I even drew...which pushes the arrow off the shelf. I now use my middle finger to lock the end of my thumb which leaves enough clearance around my arrow. My shots are more consistant than ever before, cleaner release, no 'plucking' the string, and the best choice for shorter bows that tend to pinch fingers. I now have much more control over my accuracy and another very cool tool to use as well as doing what I love...shooting the longbow instinctively.
Kevin Forrestee

Offline Slackbunny

Re: Thumb ring...benefits
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 04:29:39 pm »
Good to hear that you didn't let an injury keep you from the things you love. I've never tried a thumb ring, but I have tried and failed to use my thumb without one.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:36:54 pm »
I use my middle finger also, I broke my thumb in karate a long time ago and can't make that draw work with the pointer finger with the swollen thumb joint.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bhenders

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 02:13:43 pm »
I use a thumb draw but not a thumb ring.  I started shooting several again years ago and couldn't do anything right.  I was proficient as a kid but now couldn't hit the barn.  Plus, the string was ripping my arm to shreds.  I knew a little about Kyudo and knew they shot with a thumb glove and off of the hand on the opposite side of the bow from the English style.  Well, I tried that and it worked and also eliminated any wrist slap.  Because I'm cheap, I just used the cut off thumb of an old leather glove to protect my thumb.  Just put a leather lace on it to wrap around your wrist to keep the thumb on your thumb.  It works like a charm.  You can also cut out a leather thumb ring and sew the ends together.  Sort of like a 'finger tab' for your thumb.  I've made several of these and they work just fine but I prefer the glove thumb.  That's the only way I can shoot a bow now.  (note:  It the string is giving you problems even with leather protection, you can put a cloth insert inside the leather thumb for further protection - the thumb of a cloth glove).  If you google 'leather thumb ring' you'll get great pics on some leather rings.

I bought a couple of plastic thumb rings from a guy from Europe on ebay and have tried using them.  I need a LOT more practice with them.  Shooting with a ring introduces a lot of quantum effects in my shooting.... arrows sometimes materialize to hit the target and sometimes materialize in the neighbors back yard.
You can also make thumb rings from 3/4 inch pvc pipe.  Do a google search and you'll find a vid by a guy from Hawaii on how to make one.

From your description it sounds like you are using a thumb ring and shooting off of the same side of the bow as an English draw (the inside).  Thumb ring shooters usually shoot off of the 'outside' of the bow so that the arrow goes across their thumb on their bow hand.  That way, when your hand rotates into the arrow, the arrow is forced against the bow (not away from it).  Rotating into the arrow is actually a part of the thumb draw and allowed horse archers to shoot from any position because their arrows always stayed on their bows.   Hope some of this helps...

edit:  Most of the planet used thumb rings and most of them were probably made of leather.  I think the "English" draw may have developed because of the high draw weights of English bows.
The Chinese, Japanese, Mongol, Sassaniads, Romans, Greeks, Persians... all used thumb rings.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 02:19:32 pm by bhenders »

Offline Forresterwoods

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 08:22:24 pm »
Bhenders,
Great post. I'll look into a leather thumbring. When I use my middle finger to hold my thumb, I have more room around the string so it doesn't push the arrow off the shelf...unless I'm not paying attention that is!