Author Topic: The Affects of Adding a Stone Arrowhead  (Read 4471 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

The Affects of Adding a Stone Arrowhead
« on: May 20, 2013, 12:54:06 pm »
I've been making arrows and shooting them with just blunt tips.  The arrows are well spined with the bow I'm using but when I throw an arrowhead on there won't it change the way the arrow shoots?  Won't it weaken the spine some?

How do you practice shooting with stone arrowheads.  I don't' want to break an arrowhead that I spent a lot of time working on but I want to make sure that the spine is still true for that bow.

Basically, how much is putting a stone on the end going to make a difference.

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: The Affects of Adding a Stone Arrowhead
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 02:10:43 pm »
I went on e-bay and bought like 30 or 40 Cheep stone points for like 5-10 bucks. they have been fun to shoot. Good Luck.
Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:47:08 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking I might just use a flake that weighs close to one of my points and mount it and shoot it.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 04:18:16 pm »
If your arrows arent already tuned to your bows, adding any broadheads will make your flight erratic. It has to leave the bow flawlessly with field tips in order to get flawless broadhead flight. Simply switching from hunting point to field point wont affect spine unless the grain weight changes. Generally speaking most of us wouldnt know if the weights flucuated 15-20 grains, just get them close as you can. Shoot your stone heads into blocks of closed cell cheapy foam, like the cheap coolers are made from. It wont hurt the edge and it will stop the arrow several times. I dont often shoot my broadheads because I know my bow and arrows are tuned and I know the broadheads will fly true as a result.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 05:10:13 pm »
like pearl said, just use field points or blunts that exactly match the weight of your stone heads.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:49:52 pm »
I shoot every hunting arrow(with trade, stone or commercial) before it goes in my hunting quiver. I use a large rubberized foam bloch for this.
 For every 25grains added to the end of your arrow you decrease the effective spine by 5#. So, if your stone point weighs 100gr your arrow is shooting like one that is spined 20# lighter. Your arrows are not tuned to the bow unless you have the point you intend to shoot on it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sonny

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 07:07:40 pm »
I shoot 'em into round hay bales as there are typically a few of them in the field next to my buddy's
house. I have broken a stone point or two when shooting into hay but I figure the point was destined to
break and I'd just as soon find that out now.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 08:40:00 pm »
I shoot 'em into round hay bales as there are typically a few of them in the field next to my buddy's
house. I have broken a stone point or two when shooting into hay but I figure the point was destined to
break and I'd just as soon find that out now.
I shoot round bales with knapd points all the time too and I hardly ever break one.   Like Pat B said, I have to shoot an arrow so I trust it enough to carry hunting.   I don't shoot more than one stone pointed arrow into the bale at a time.  If one hits the other it is pretty much game over for that point.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 08:54:49 pm »
Alright cool.  Thanks for the advice guys.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:47:47 pm »
Go find and old couch cushion and shoot at the foam that is inside. It will not hurt your point.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 10:40:03 am »
  The kind of points you use don't have any bearings to the way the shoot out of a slow selfbow. But the weight dose. A heavyer head adds to spine the light takes away. Closer your bow is to center shot the less spine is critial.
  Went I knap hunting heads I knap mine with out the barbs. I knap the backs slanted in like a ZWICKY or that try of head. That way you can shoot them and pull them out all day if you use a foam block.
  Before I hunt with them resharpen them.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING