Author Topic: First self bow kill  (Read 33730 times)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
First self bow kill
« on: November 11, 2007, 11:54:56 pm »
This weekend I went hunting in west Texas, and finally found a place that I like to hunt from.
I was hunting over a feeder, but even so...... it's the biggest bow kill I've made, and I'm real happy!

I had been hunting in a wash for several days, but nothing showed near it at all, so I switched to one of my uncle's stands, and found I liked it.  ;)   The first morning I hunted there, a doe and a large fawn came in, but I let them pass, not because I was being picky but because I just didn't want to shoot them. The doe looked a little bit thin, so I let her go. That evening when the Sun had just gone down (but there was plenty of light to shoot), I was hearing footsteps behind me, and in a few seconds, I saw antlers coming through the trees. I was getting excited.  ;D  He turned out to be a little five pointer, but looked to be a nice deer. He was hanging around for a while when a couple of hogs started grunting and snorting off to my left. This made him uneasy, so I knew I had to make the shot soon. He came in at about 17 yards, and gave me a good broadside shot. I took it, but saw him duck under my arrow and run off.  :'(

About 10 minutes later, he came right back, not even as cautious as he had been before. Unfortunately, he got chased off by the hogs I heard earlier. I got a little mad at 'em. After I had missed the shot before, I wanted to make absolutely sure that I would get a good shot, so I came down from the small stand I was in and got up really close when they came in. It was a group of about 5 sows and a bunch of little 'uns. I waited a bit and was rewarded with about a 6-8 yard slightly quartering away shot and nailed one of the smaller sows. The shot was a bit too far back, but it probably caught a lung, and brought her down within 50 yards. maybe even 35-40. She looked like she weighed about 75-80lb.

The bow I used was my modified shorty bow, 50lb@24", shooting a bamboo arrow with the broadhead made from the bandsaw blades from VB. We found a very small portion of the arrow, but the rest was lost. It looked like the arrow had shattered.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n236/Thebowguy/Sean1stbowhog2.jpg

Sean
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 12:06:48 am by 1/2primitive »
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: First self bow kill
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 01:07:13 am »
Great job.  I'm still looking for my first.  I'm trying again in the morning.  ::)

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

tradrick

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:20:04 am »
Great job.Meat in the freezer.Can't get any better than that.Congrats.tradrick

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 11:08:24 am »
Way to go Sean! Nice kill. Most people around here just shoot em and leave em lay, cause they hate em for tearing everything up and taking over the place - and then theirs the smell. I have eaten several of them and can't tell the diff from store bought - leaner and better for ya to boot 8).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 11:57:46 am »
Great shooting Sean. Sounds like an exciting hunt.  That one is perfect size for eating.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 12:55:28 pm »
Congrats Sean, looks like a nice peeeg ;D Never ate wild pig but porkchops with homemade applesauce, barbecued ribs,
bacon, ham mmmmmmmm dang went and made myself hungry ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 06:03:32 pm »
Sweet!!!!!!....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

jamie

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 08:28:43 pm »
awesome sean, congrats.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 08:31:18 pm »
Nice little piggy Sean.Those small sow's are the best eating. I'd rather eat the wild ones than farm raised.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 08:46:17 pm »
Thanks everyone, it was one exciting experience!
We would eat it, but one of my uncles got sick after eating one, so not eating them much anymore. I don't plan on shooting many hogs, because it doesn't feel right to kill something and not put it's sacrifice to good use.  :-[
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline white wood

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 11:20:21 pm »
maybe he got a piece that was undercooked? i heard its very good eating! congtats on your first kill! one of these days im gunna plan a hog hunt! it looks like so much fun! -whitewood
Jesse Buzzell
 Gorham, Maine

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 11:35:39 pm »
Perhaps he did. Maybe I can get my uncles to help me process one, then make sure to cook it really well.   There's a pork recipe in an old PA mag...... :)
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 12:17:49 am »
....................................Been eatin' wild hawg fer many years. Be sure ta cook it real good. Remember its still pork. Yummy ! ;D

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 08:22:44 am »
nice pig congrads. :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline 1/2primitive

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 07:34:15 pm »
Thanks Bob, I'll remeber that!  :)