Author Topic: Wild Rose and Cane ???  (Read 2301 times)

Offline hilltophickory

Wild Rose and Cane ???
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:53:47 pm »
For making shafts is Wild rose the same as Multi-flora rose , and is the cane the same as Bamboo that may grow in Ohio probably ornamental??? and if so is there a Thread on building arrow shafts from start to finish ??
Hickorys what I Know best

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Re: Wild Rose and Cane ???
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:43:24 pm »
Use the search function at top right of page.  Also check out the How To's and Buildalong section and search through there.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 11:13:55 pm »
I can tell you, I have built good arrows out of cane and multiflora rose both. Rose is pretty much rose no matter what kind, IMO. When it comes to building them, You want to cut a few more than what you plan to have when you finish. Bundle them together and store them indoors for few weeks, with cane it's easy, just let them dry till they turn brown. You can strip the bark off rose shoots, they don't split much at all, they will dry faster that way. cut them a little long though, just in case. You can use heat to straighten rose and cane both, be careful not to scorch them.then just cut 'em to length and fletch them!

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:53:35 pm »
multi-flora is the wild rose we use to make arrows out of.it makes a great shaft.you want to cut it a little bigger than the finished shafts that you want.it will shrink a little upon dring.bundle it tight and straight as you can get it until it dries.do a search and you will find plenty or arrows made from it on this site.i have a few posts on here.good luck,Steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline hilltophickory

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:30:42 pm »
Thanks guys I have a 23 acre woods here on my farm full of it , multi flora rose that is . never did I know that it could be used as a shaft 1 more question are they small game only?

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:06:11 pm »
Not at all. They have been used for years to kill all kinds of animals. A guy put a buildalong on another site a while back, and killed a massive bull elk with a selfbow, wild rose arrow, and stone point. They work great!

Offline hilltophickory

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 07:56:17 am »
That was very helpful I will be collecting arrow shafts now