Author Topic: Starting a new boo batch  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
Starting a new boo batch
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:03:20 am »
One round of straightening and sanding and I feel like they will end up nice
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
Re: Starting a new boo batch
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 01:06:04 pm »
they look good to me, I shot a cow elk last fall with one of those boo shafts I got from you they sure made good tough arrows.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 04:23:35 pm »
I am finishing up a set also from shafts Billy gave me.  They seem like good sticks to me too. 

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:35:31 pm »
The ones that made the cut, the others were either broke or the spine was off, I might be able to save one more
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 09:07:38 pm »
Duck that is awesome! I feel honored that you took one of my shafts on a hunt like that. Do you have any pictures?

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:09 pm »
I saved one with a broken nock, I used a bamboo skewer insert and an 11/32 nock

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 11:54:29 pm »
heres the only pic i've got of the elk, i shot her at 50 yards with a 65#@30 pse longbow, and a 155 gn tusker broadhead and got a complete pass through, she walk/trotted about 25 yards looked back over her shoulder and fell over, from the time i released the arrow to when she fell was maybe 15-20 seconds, an outopsy (gutting) revealed she had died from big holes in both lungs. thanks a ton billy they are great arrows.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 09:07:37 pm »
Are those Home Depot boo sticks..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 04:44:54 pm »
I believe that some of the ones that I sent to killer duck were HD shafts, but these are from bamboo trading co.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 07:53:32 pm »
i'm pretty sure you said mine were from the bamboo trading company, but i could be wrong that was quite awhile ago.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 08:58:48 am »
Yes duck most were from bamboo trading co, but I think I threw in a few from hd, they are really the same thing

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 08:30:30 am »
Looking good, but I would make a suggestion that you cut your nocks in to line up with the leaf scars.  12 and 6 o'clock position.  Then find the stiffer of the two side and place that against the strike plate.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 05:07:57 pm »
I made the nicks according to which side is stiffer... I don't know if that makes them line up with leaf scars. But if not I cannot do both on the same arrow.