Author Topic: Snakeskin bows and teenagers  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Postman

Snakeskin bows and teenagers
« on: November 12, 2007, 10:53:27 am »
Thanks saw filer and tim for the info....
just starting out moved to rural VA 6 years ago, and have captured  / released 20 copperheads and 2 timbers from my YARD since we moved in.  (plus others from nieghbor's basements, porches ect....)  Have also driven past a dozen roadkills in that span... (feel like an idiot now!)

Showed your bow, and others, to my crossbow / compound/  "repeating muzzleloader"  hunting high schoolers.(I teach biology in the road-hunting capital of the world, Shenandoah Co. VA), and they loved it, and other stuff on the P.Archer site.

Helped me finally do a decent  discussion of hunting ethics in class. (YEARS of hearing "Pappy and grand pappy road hunt... why shouldn't I?"...) Several of them now check out the site  and a few are considering the sport.
Thanks again, - I'll keep ya in mind once the snakes wake up!
Postman
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Snakeskin bows and teenagers
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 10:27:12 pm »
NEVER EVER EVER drive past a roadkill snake !!! I picked one up this year that was laying on a paved road in 100 degree weather. He was flat as a pancake and stunk to high heavens. My brother said I was "one sick individual" but I got him skinned and washed him with a bleach water solution and once he dried out, no smell.  20 copperheads in the yard might be bad for some people, but in my case it would be bad for the snakes ;D   Good luck getting through to some of those boys. I know a few people like that myself. If they saved the money they burned up in fuel riding the roads hunting everybody else's deer, they could go to Illinois on a guided hunt. >:(
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Loki

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 03:51:30 am »
Whats road hunting?
Durham,England

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 07:21:05 am »
Lotsa of road hunters up here also,

Loki road hunting is where you drive the back roads and shoot deer out the window :o
Totally illegal in Michigan.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 08:29:37 am »

I'm stopping for those road-killed snakes as well. Hasn't been many this year though. Finally got a second black snake back in October.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 09:54:39 pm »
I got to admit - I'm envios about you guys that have road kill snakes. Snake skins really jack up the price of the hobby but they definitely dress up a bow. Montana has small prairie rattlers and it would really take 3-5 to cover a bow. Oh well.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Postman

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 03:41:25 pm »
What about bullsnakes oldbow? - Don't they get pretty big? Can't wait untill I'm a RETIRED biology teacher.... More time to hunt & build.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 08:50:55 pm »
I found a chicken snake in the road the other day. It was too far gone to salvage but I stopped and measured it at a shade over 6 of my boot lengths. That's the biggest one i've seen in a long time. Certain times of the year it's not uncommon to see a half a dozen in 20 miles, especially hay cutting time.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.