Author Topic: Second Spring Warbow Shoot  (Read 4546 times)

Offline adb

Second Spring Warbow Shoot
« on: May 17, 2013, 08:30:51 pm »
Greetings! Cam & I were out this morning for another shoot. We had the block set at 200 yards (verified with laser range finder). Slight following wind, maybe 5-10 km/hr. Perfect day! I'm wearing my CWBS t-shirt... that's for you Jake!!

Cam was shooting his new bow... 85#@30" (we put it up on my tiller tree to check the exact weight) tri-lam... hickory, ipe, osage. 72" ntn.  He's pulling it to 31", so it's probably 88 - 90# @31".

I was shooting my maple backed yew... 90#@30". 76" ntn.

Cam out-shot me today! His best cast was 213 yards with a 66 gram arrow. My best was 198 yards with 63 gram arrow. He was also closest to the mark... only about 4 yards wide right. He also shot one which was exactly on-line, but went over top and ended up about 6 yards long.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:03:37 pm by adb »

Offline adb

Re: Second Spring Warbow Shoot
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:34:35 pm »
More...

Offline Agincourtwarbow

• CWBS Chairman
    • The Canadian Warbow Society
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:10:03 pm »
Great photos gents! Looks like a great day was had! (Bit warm perhaps though eh?!) Thanks for posting adb!
You two got some fair distances too, especially for the bow and arrow weights, well done!
Cheers!   ;D
-Jake

PS Love the shirt mate!

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:24:39 pm »
Thanks, Jake! Thought you might like the T.

I think Cam's bow is amazing. It's 85-90#@31", and he's getting 213 yards with a livery weight arrow. That is top shelf for that draw weight! For basically being the same as my yew bow, he out shot me by a good 15%. That extra inch of draw sure makes a difference. I had a chance to shoot his bow, and it felt basically the same as mine... but being 4" longer, my bow felt a little lighter and smoother.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 10:07:53 pm »
Looked like a great time, nothing like shooting in company. Is your max draw 30" or could you draw further?
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:46:31 pm »
Looked like a great time, nothing like shooting in company. Is your max draw 30" or could you draw further?

You know... I could probably draw further, but 30" is comfortable, and at my age (50), I'm pretty happy to be able to do what I'm doing. I have 31" arrows (they're the ones Cam is shooting) and I just struggle to get them all the way back to the head. 90@30 seems to be what I can comfortably do. I can shoot 100#, but it seems to be a pretty big jump. I have a 110# maple/yew, and I can't seem to get it back past about 28". 20# doesn't sound like much, but it sure seems to be at 30"!!

Offline Ian.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 11:00:02 pm »
Given the draw the distance is more impressive. I tend to think 5-10 yards an inch as a rough guess.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 12:55:32 am »
I was about to post some of those pics but it looks like you beat me to it :)  I had a blast this morning, it's just too bad my back wasn't cooperating long enough to get a few more rounds out.

Adam, you forgot to mention the 4 mule deer that were grazing around the corner of that bush behind me in the pics.  Man, it was really tempting to fling one over in their general direction  ;)

What a great day!

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 09:22:34 pm »
Yup... just off to our right, there were 4 mule deer eating the fresh new green stuff between the old rows of wheat stubble. This is in a field 5 blocks from my house... still in the city limits. Deer everywhere!

Offline robby

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 09:40:52 am »
Looks like great fun fellows, and brought back some great memories, thanks!!!
Robby