Author Topic: Last Bow in the USA; Linen cord backed w/dutch plug.  (Read 6340 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Last Bow in the USA; Linen cord backed w/dutch plug.
« on: May 18, 2013, 01:30:04 pm »
Ok maybe not THE last bow, but mine for a while anyways. We'll be moving to Scotland in a month or so and since the shipping company just loaded up all my tools I wont be making any more bows in the States for now.

This bow has a bit of history. It started out as my 2012 trade bow. It's Sassafras and I had it tillered out to 45# at 28" or so. One night I was in the house and was showing my wife how it looked at full draw when it blew up on me. Never had one blow like this though. You can see in the pictures how just the sap wood peeled off. It started at three pin knots but since I had just used the first ring under the bark, thought them to be ok.

It sat in the corner for a few months since the former draw weight was now down to about 24# I thought it was destined to be a kids bow. Then remembering seeing in one of the TBB a bow backed with Linen cord I went looking for some and found it.
Never want to back anything with Linen cord again. Sinew I think is MUCH easier. I thought I'd use half length pieces and lay each limb separate. You need six hands to do this, I made due with four, me and my son. I did heat treat the belly and reflex it on some blocks while backing it but all of the reflex pulled out as the linen stretched however when it settled in it gained 12 pounds. Now it's shot in and 36# @ 28". It's on it's way to my youngest brother's house in MO.

Here are a bunch of pictures, the plug is BW. Not real happy with the tiller but it is what it is I guess.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Mark Anderson

Re: Last Bow in the USA; Linen cord backed w/dutch plug.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 01:35:47 pm »
More finished pictures.

Handle
Tip
Un-braced
Braced
Full Draw
Just unstrung (after about 20 shots)

Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 02:04:23 pm »
that looks sweet! good save. could you use the same technique for backing but with artificial sinew?
Where there's a will, there's a bow.

PA subscription #: PM108452

Offline cdpbrewer

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 07:18:17 pm »
I great admire the patience of you and your son in putting that linen cord on- real straight too! 

c.d.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 07:21:21 pm »
Good save and a cool fix. Well done.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 10:19:39 am »
that looks sweet! good save. could you use the same technique for backing but with artificial sinew?

Depends on the type.  Some artificial sinew is made of Nylon.  Some is made of some kind of polymer.
I have made lots of bowstrings with the polymer type and its amazing. No doubt it could be used as a backing.
The nylon type is garbage.  Better for sewing
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 10:31:59 am »
Thanks for the comments guys. It was a fun save considering where I thought it was heading after the blow up.

CORIUS- I guess you could use artificial sinew as backing but any type of art sinew will stretch and most defiantly will only raise physical weight. Just paper bags would be a much better choice than art sinew. The reason this backing added strength to the bow is that linen is a low stretch material, I believe it stretches less than wood. This backing stretched a bit despite laying it on in a reflex because it was twisted cordage. If it was un-twisted raw flax I think it might have held some of the reflex and added even more weight.

Mark

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 10:37:40 am »
Looks like a nice save to me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good