Author Topic: crepe myrtle arrow shafts  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Marks

crepe myrtle arrow shafts
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:04:29 pm »
Anyone ever tried Crepe Myrtle for arrows. I cut down a huge one last year and burned the stump for 2 days straight with a burn barrel. Every since then, there have been what seems like 1000s of shoots trying to pop out from the surface roots. I have just mowed over top of them every time I mow and they keep coming back. I was about to Roundup the whole thing but I may be sitting on an arrow goldmine. That stuff grows very fast. They cut the ones here at work down to the bare trunk early this spring and they already have new limbs out to 2.5-3'.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: crepe myrtle arrow shafts
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 11:52:03 pm »
You would have to wait two years for the shoots to be mature enough for a desent arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 12:36:32 am »
I've made a couple and they are really strong.  Hard to keep straight but almost everything is.  Like Pat said, 2 year old shoots work well. That's what I used.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:34:13 pm »
 I'd bet if you let them season a couple 3 years it take care of your straighting problems. Memorys hard to get rid of. Time seams to work on it just fine with any of our shoots here in WV.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING