Author Topic: switch cane?  (Read 4058 times)

Offline Strongbow88

switch cane?
« on: November 13, 2007, 09:29:39 pm »
I went down to my dads this past weekend and cut me some ,what i think is switch cane. And I am having trouble straitnin it. How do you straitin the nodes.
                                           thanks
Danny Johnson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: switch cane?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 01:01:06 am »
Danny, You will probably have to use heat if there is a drastic bend. What I would do is bundle them and place them in a dry area to cure. After a month or so start using heat to straighten first the nodes and after they have cooled completely, the inter nodal areas.  I like to wipe a little cooking oil where I apply heat to prevent scorching while straightening, and I use our gas range for the heat source.
   You might try hand straightening a little , a couple of times a week and bundle or lay the canes on a flat surface between straightening sessions. By the time the month curing is up they will probably be fairly straight.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Strongbow88

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:49:21 pm »
thank you for you help I have been straightening  them every day and keeping them in a bundle. I have mostly been straightening in between the nodes with no heat since they ate still green.
I was planned on waiting for them to dry soom before I tried to straighten the node. I was lust not sure about the nodes because they bent in several different ways in a little space. But Im sure I will figure it out.                     thanks again
                                            Danny
Danny Johnson

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 10:33:34 pm »
Just heat it until it starts to "sweat" and gently bend. The nodes are harder to bend than the internodes, and take a bit more heat and caution, but it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Once a cane shaft is dry and heat-straightened, it stays straight much better than most wooden shafts. While they're half-green and drying, though, they can get to looking like lightning bolts  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 01:18:56 am »
After the major bend is out of the node areas, I like to reheat them, one at a time, and roll the nodes on a hard surface with a hardwood block to compress the nodes instead of sanding or scraping them. This will take slight bends out of the node area also.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC