Author Topic: Just cut some cane , rookie questions  (Read 1399 times)

Offline hilltophickory

Just cut some cane , rookie questions
« on: May 27, 2013, 08:42:01 am »
I tried to remember a few things from past archives but I cant remember it all so I got a few questions . I have never made cane shafts before so I cut plenty . SMALL end what avg dia? large end what avg dia? and appx length around 30 inchs fine? and they are quite green and ive got them bundled so is it best to work them green or just let the set and dry a bit ? any thing else that may help thanks guys.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:51:35 am by hilltophickory »
Hickorys what I Know best

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: Just cut some cane
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 08:47:29 am »
I use an open end 3/8 wrench to cut the big ends of my cane/bamboo.  But I also cut them at least 4' long so I have more area to work with while straightening.  I bundle mine up in bundles of a dozen, and put 5 rubber bands on the bundle.  But not real tight.  Just tight enough to hold them and let the rubber band shrink down with the cane as it dries.  I usually let mine dry at least 6 weeks or so in  my basement before working them up.  Hope this helps.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Just cut some cane , rookie questions
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:17:08 am »
I do similar as Stringstretcher.   Are you sure all the culms (canes) you cut are mature(at least 2 years old). If not the immature ones will wrinkle lengthwise as they dry and will be too flimsey for arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hilltophickory

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:11:37 am »
Pat , I dunno  but Iwill find out , when cutting I forgot how to determine younger from older. something to do with featering of the leaves do any one have yearling shoots and 2yr shoot pics?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 12:44:15 pm »
With the native canes if the paperlike sheath at the nodes is deteriorated or gone all together they are old enough.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:09:54 pm »
I cut mine quite a bit longer than my draw. I have about a 26" draw,  so i cut mine between 35 and 40. I find you don't have to worry about spine as much when they are that long. Hope this helps.

Offline hilltophickory

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 01:23:34 pm »
OK , next time ill cut with no sheaths, I have read the home depot arrow making thread , I will try to follow it some.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 04:14:57 pm »
The HD cane has already been sorted and cleaned. When you get cane from the woods you have to do that stuff yourself.  ;)