Author Topic: yew west coast paddle 52/22 (No. 26)  (Read 18822 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: yew west coast paddle 52#/22"
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2013, 01:51:18 pm »
That is some kinda awesome!  Excellent work sir!  Josh

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2013, 02:35:12 pm »
A big WOW is in order first looking at that bow.Had to go to my conversion ruler to see that your handle is app.1 and 3/8" wide.That's a little leaf spring type bow right there.Really like your geometric patterns.Looks museum quality.BTW..How many rings per inch was your yew?Reason I ask is I've got some Irish yew drying here that's 10 to 15 rings per inch.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2013, 04:23:44 pm »
That is a beauty.I like every thing about it. Have you tried shooting it yet? God Bless

Yes, I had shot about 500 arrows though it. When on the shooting range with this one the others are always kidding on me, saying this is a kid's bow  --  until I shoot it, then comes a wow!

When i have time, i have to make some matching arrows for this bow. I'm studying Hamm, Mason and others ...
Unfortunately I have about 8 bows on the bench ... so it will take a bit.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline simson

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2013, 04:27:31 pm »
A big WOW is in order first looking at that bow.Had to go to my conversion ruler to see that your handle is app.1 and 3/8" wide.That's a little leaf spring type bow right there.Really like your geometric patterns.Looks museum quality.BTW..How many rings per inch was your yew?Reason I ask is I've got some Irish yew drying here that's 10 to 15 rings per inch.

Just counted: exact the same as yours.
but remember: this is a kinda board cutted out of the middle of the sapling. Most of the limb is therefore kinda rift sawn (hope this is the right word, perhaps sombody can help)
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2013, 04:51:18 pm »
Yes....You have the back having the crown of your limb and the belly feathers out looking rift sawn correct?Have you mass weighed it?I bet it must feel like a feather in your hands shooting it.Heck of a job.It inspires me to give my yew a try when it gets dried.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline simson

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2013, 04:56:38 pm »
Yes....You have the back having the crown of your limb and the belly feathers out looking rift sawn correct?Have you mass weighed it?I bet it must feel like a feather in your hands shooting it.Heck of a job.It inspires me to give my yew a try when it gets dried.

I see you understand my crude words!
No, I haven't weighed it. But it is light wood.
The bow isn't that light, because of the heavy sinew. Mass is listed above in grams, don't know how much it isin oz.

Good luck on your project!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany