Author Topic: 1st (and hopefully Annual) Robinson Memorial Day Wild Hog Roast + a suprise  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Marks

I've been wanting to roast a whole pig for quite some time now. After much woods time spent by my uncle and I we finally manage to put down a suitable sized boar for our first attempt. About 60lbs. I wanted to dig a pit but my uncle talked me into building one from scrap blocks he had laying around. We built a makeshift pit using the blocks, a few bricks, a bed frame, expanded metal cut off an old cotton picker basket, and some old tin. The pig prep was the toughest part especially since we didn't know what we were doing. Next time it will be more streamline. We torched and scraped the hair off then we split him and threw him on ice on Sunday. We also built a big fire in the pit before bed using mostly hickory and some oak. Monday morning put the pig between some cattle wire panels so he'd be easy to flip and stuck him in the pit. Flip every hour or 2 and add wood when necessary. About 2:30pm he was plenty done. We pulled the meat and headed to the family cookout. We had about 40 people to feed and boy was it good. We had pork, baked beans, tater salad, slaw.........and my favorite....homemade icecream along with many other sides and desserts. It was a meal fit for a king.

My wife and I had orchestrated this whole idea so we could unveil our top secret big news. I'M GONNA BE A DADDY! ( <--- That is the first time I've typed that and it felt real weird :o )

I'll have to post the pics from my phone

Offline Marks

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Sounds like fun and Congrats on becoming a dad,nothing quite like your first kid. ;) :) about  $500,000.00 in debt for a few minutes of fun. ;) :) :) :) yep nothing like it. ;) :) Just kidding ,when you hear her/he call you dad it's all worth it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline YosemiteBen

Looks good - I can almost smell it through the computer screen! Congrats on being a Dad! I am a Gpa with 4 and number five due to arrive in November.

Offline Marks

Best part of pulling pork in sampling.

Offline Parnell

That's great - fun pictures and good news.  Congratulations.
1’—>1’

Offline Buffalogobbler

Pics are cool Mark and congrats on the impending fatherhood!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline cracker

congratulations what part of the country are you from?
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Ed Brooks

Pig looked really good.
Congrats on being a Daddy. I get to be a grandpa for the 1st time this next month.  :D
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Marks

congratulations what part of the country are you from?
NW Alabama

Offline Marks

BTW I'm not the guy in most of the pics. That is my uncle.  I'm the hairy one gnawing on the leg bone.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Congratulations on the fun to come ;) Mark. And nice pig,I've never cooked one like that.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Lemos

Congratulations my friend, nothing like the first little rug rat. In a few years you'll have hunting pit building eating partner that says love you dad thanks for teaching me this. It makes my heart swell every time my monsters say it.

Offline bowsandroses

Congrats on the little one The best part of my life has been beeing a husband and dad. Now it's beeing a husband and grandpa. ;)
Talk to the wife though and the husband part may be left out >:D
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Newindian

Did this once with a friend, the back strap from that pig is my all time favorite piece of meat.
I like free stuff.