Author Topic: CamJam 2013  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
CamJam 2013
« on: June 01, 2013, 09:41:08 pm »
Here are a few pictures from the bow tillering seminar that I was helping adb instruct the last day and a half.  I'm sure Adam, who was the head instructor, will argue with my choice of title for the seminar, but AdamJam  or Lee Valley Jam just don't roll off the tongue quite as well ;)   :P  Lee Valley tools is hosting it for us, and they provided us with the tools, work benches and enough space for 6 students.  The youngest of the group is 15.  2 of the 6 guys are back for a second time, and one guy (Dave, or dmc on the forum) is back for a third time.  The guy should probably be instructing the class himself by now!  I took one of Adam's seminars back in 2010 but this is my first time assisting him with instructing, and I was nervous as hell going into it.  Once we got going I settled in and felt right at home.

The seminar is scheduled to take 19 hours over 3 days, but half of the class left today with a tillered bow, and will only have to do some finishing work next Saturday.  The other guys were within a few inches of done, except for that Dave guy (sorry buddy, I gotta bust your balls a bit!)

I'd like to think the quality floor tillered bow-blanks and exceptional instruction had something to do with their success ;) There were no explosions, so that's always a bonus!  Hopefully the entire class might finish early next weekend and we'll have some spare time to fletch some arrows and then go fling them around Adam's back yard.  If only that Dave guy would just pick up the pace a bit...  ::)  You'd think the guy would be a little fast the 3rd time around! ha ha Actually Dave is having his first crack at an ELB and is doing it right - nice and easy.

Here are a few pics of the class in session

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: CamJam 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:30:41 pm »
Looks like a good time had by all. Wish I was closer. Would have loved to have attended. Thanks for sharing.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 09:02:54 am »
Looks like class is in session! Looks like a nice set up and some quality bows were produced.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 08:33:45 pm »
It was a great day... and we still have another to go. Seeing the look on someone's face who has shot a bow they've made, is all the reward I need!

And... you did good Grasshopper... I'm proud as punch! It'll make you a better bow maker, Cam. Making a bow is one thing... teaching someone else is another.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:46:40 pm by adb »

Offline dmc

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 08:42:32 pm »
It was a great day and an evening. Looking forward to working and finishing it off next Saturday. You'd think this being my third time around, i'd pump them out. Nope!

You and Adam did a great job . Once again, good times were had by all. I'm looking forward to finishing my yellowheart, yew, and hickory trilam ELB! Learned what to watch out for when doing mynext  one.

Thanks again cam for the beaver tail arm gaurd. (same one Cam posted earlier of the beaver tail inlay)

See you next weekend.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 10:18:07 am »
Looks like a good time,way to pass it on. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 10:41:35 am »
Looks like a lot of fun!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 02:00:27 am »
A few more pictures from the final day.  We got quite a bit accomplished.  One of the repeat students brought his string jig and did a 3-bundle flemish twist demo, they got a few coats of poly on their bows, did a few handle wraps for the guys that wanted them, and still had some spare time to show the guys how to make up their own arrows.  All in all, a pretty good day.  If I could do this every day and get paid for it, I'd be a happy man :)

Teach that sucker how to bend!

Dave checking out his progress on his first ELB (which turned out pretty good!  Show us some glamor shots Dave!)

Teachin the youngin how to lace up a handle wrap

The graduating class of '13.  Everyone left with a shooter.  Mission accomplished  8)

Offline dmc

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 02:32:23 am »
I was a great end of a day! Everyone went home with a bow and a smile. Unfortunately it poured rain all day, so we couldn't shoot them outside. Big thanks to adb and Cameroo for all the advice and help.  Don't think I'm ready for BOM yet, but maybe a small step closer.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!