Author Topic: A first for me  (Read 7120 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
A first for me
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:15:31 am »
Well yesterday I had a bad thing happen.I had a cousin come in from North Carolina
to hunt for a few day.I meet him at the farm and showed him around.I needed to cut up some deer meat so I wasn't going to hunt.I took him to a good evening stand and left him there.
It is a lock on with a 16 ft. ladder stick.I was at the cabin taking care of the meat when a friend came driving up and told me Joanie had tried to get me on the cell and couldn't.He said my cousin was in the stand with a dislocated shoulder and couldn't get out.now he is a pretty big boy.I got to him and he was almost crying with pain and about to pass out.I climbed the tree and hung onto
a limb and put a climbing harness on him witch took some doing.It came up a bad storm while we were trying to get him hooked up.I hooked up a rope to the harness and threw it over a limb above him.Then took the loose end and gave it to a couple of my friends on the ground.We lowered him out of the tree to the ground.It worked great.I then took him to the emergency room to get his shoulder put back in.He just got his lic. and didn't get to hunt even 1 minute
He is OK but can't hunt anymore this year.I am so glad he didn't fall out.Got to be careful
in them trees. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DBernier

Re: A first for me
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 08:55:58 am »
Glad he is going to be OK Pappy.  ;)   How the heck did he dislocate his shoulder sitting in the stand. Did he slip and climb back in?  I'm confused.  ??? 

Dick

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:34:26 am »
When he got to the top of the ladder stick he grabbed a limb up higher to pull up and step over into the stand.It pulled out of place when he pulled up and he just stepped on into the stand and set down.I think he had dislocated it before a few years back and it must be weaker now. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

jamie

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 09:37:39 am »
ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DBernier

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 10:25:34 am »
Ouch!!!!! Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dick

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 02:18:52 pm »

That's too bad! Good thing he had a cell phone with him to call for help. Another example of why a safety harness should be used while in a stand.

Pappy and I both know a guy that fell asleep and fell out of a stand badly injuring himself. His right arm is now completely useless...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 10:45:32 pm »
I feel for your cousin.I dislocated mine sliding into 3rd base a couple of years ago.(I was safe).It put an end to baseball,and a serious halt to my archery,for a few months,and I'm only 50,    If he'll work hard,he can get most of the strenght back,but it'll take a good while,even if he's in good shape. God Bless,  Pete C
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 12:09:25 am »
Scary situation. Pappy!   Now days, I think about these sorts of scenarios while in my tree stand and what would I do if.....! :o  I guess that comes with age.  Thank goodness you were there for him.  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gene roberts

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 04:43:06 pm »
ouch i hope i never dislocate mine.

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 04:15:27 pm »
That is why it is always good that someone knows where you are hunting. I am bad about that, sometimes.... I just go!

Glad you were able to get him down OK. That could have been bad.
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 10:12:42 pm »
   Sorry about your cousin Pappy.Thats why I told my wife I need a flashing GPS beacon on my a$$.Cell phones don't work where I hunt.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 11:29:59 pm »
 Ah , so trhats what was on yer a$$ huh eddie ? ;D........bob

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 08:24:26 pm »
Glad to here there was a happy ending. Here in Indiana with the opening of firearm deer season, there have been 2 fatalities in less than a week. Both men were 48 and 58 and were not wearing a safety harness when they fell 15 plus ft. Makes you want to slow down and reduce your risks if at all possible. Good luck with the rest of the season and be safe!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Lilmoosecountry

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 12:44:45 pm »
Yeahh that does'nt happen from a good Ground Blind.