Author Topic: Yall ever care if your bamboo is upside down on a bow?  (Read 1773 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Yall ever care if your bamboo is upside down on a bow?
« on: June 04, 2013, 02:30:09 pm »
 ;D I know it seems like such a stupid thing, but for some reason (most likely an undiagnosed case of OCD) it irks me to have the bamboo upside down on the bow, if ya know what I mean? I recently glued up a bow, and for some reason the top limb came out 1/4" shorter than the bottom limb, which I am guessing will make it a bit stronger than the bottom limb off bat, and I am thinking might mess with the draw even if the bow is tiller correctly with a positive tiller. I know 1/4" is not much, but the stave is 61 3/4" long, so the bow nock to nock will be less than that. So I guess I am going to flip it, but the nodes on the bamboo will be upside down, and I just can't get over how weird it is gonna look to me!  :o Does anybody else feel the same way, or do most people not care, etc...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Yall ever care if your bamboo is upside down on a bow?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:29:37 pm »
Huh? Pics may help.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 04:00:37 pm »
Once the rind is scraped off meticulously, you can hardly see the difference between the top and bottom end of the bamboo. No, I don't care at all.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline hatcha

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:05:06 pm »
I think as long as the nodes are spaced equi-distant on either side of the grip (for comfort etc.), it only comes down to aesthetics with regard to the strip being upside down.  I can't see it making a difference in the structural make-up, unless it's unevenly tapered from one end to the other.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:15:45 pm »
"Upside down" as in -  which way the culm was growing when it was alive?  I never even gave it a moments thought - - all I look at is how the node spacing will look.  How do you tell?  The nodes gets closer together as you go up towards the sky?

I also dont designate a top and bottom limb until after the glue up - - for that matter, no top and bottom limb till I am ready to cut the rest / shelf - - but then again I also only make symmetrical BBs.

Russ

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 04:27:22 pm »
man, your more ocd than I am
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹