Author Topic: Afghanistan knapping  (Read 3855 times)

Offline BamaHunter01

Afghanistan knapping
« on: June 06, 2013, 06:39:25 am »
Hello all I am wondering if anyone knows of stone I can get mailed to me cheap while I'm deployed here in Afghanistan I'm dying to break some rock. I would use glass or anything but there's literally nothing here to knap any ideas would be appreciated !! Thanks in advance

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Afghanistan knapping
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:52:03 pm »
I was in RC east twice 08-09 and 2011 when i was there i had found some balls of flint on Fob Sharana over by the dump on the back side but it was low grade stuff and really not worth the time.
 Haha if you look close i bet ya could find the remnants of my old flake piles on OrgenE and salarino and sharana and margah :) Besides that what i did was just order some off line.
 Good luck over there brother, stay alert, stay alive   ;)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 02:47:42 pm »
Are you looking for slabs cut as preforms?  Have tons of obsidian.  Unfortunately slabs don't do well in the mail.  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 09:31:22 pm »
bama- I can mail you some obsidian in trade for your service. What size points do you make? Please give me your address.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:55:35 pm »
Man you are surrounded by stone but Im not one to say looking through the mountains of afghanistan for knappable rock..lol Like Jesse said would make it a lot easier to order online...also check for local rock shops!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:46:36 pm »
I checked with the post office today and you can send packages using free flat rate boxes for the flat rate fee.  They start from around $6.00 for a small box to around $16.00 for a large box.  You must fill out the standard declaration form which is also provided by the post office.  I have sent lots of rock  in the  mail and when I mail slabs I wrap them together with a shrink wrap material and then put bubble wrap around them.

When mailing rock you must wrap the crap out of the box with strapping tape to keep the box together.

Hope this helps.

Offline BamaHunter01

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 04:29:30 am »
Thanks all I have looked around nothing of quality here I just make small points to hunt deer hogs and turkey with I'm on Fob Shank my address is 2-10 Avn F Co Pathfinders Fob Shank Apo AE 09364 PFC Tippett  no one has to send me anything but if someone did I'd be very grateful .

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 08:05:32 am »
I just re-read your post with your name at the end of the address.  Is that the way the address would be written with your name at the end?

Offline BamaHunter01

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 08:28:36 am »
Sorry name first I apologize

Offline aaron

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 10:53:08 am »
can you write your address with line breaks? that is , what goes on the first line, second line, etc...
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Marks

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 11:53:01 am »
Fob Shank is the name of the base right? I had a cousin there a couple years ago. I just assumed he was talking about the name of the base.   He is a Bama boy too. He is from Florence. He was a helicopter mechanic. He has been to Iraq since then.

Offline BamaHunter01

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 12:24:45 pm »
Pfc Tippett Eric
210 Avn F-CO Pathfinders
Fob Shank
APO AE 09364

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 03:37:08 pm »
Dont have to much sent to ya. Only what you can use while your there.
Customs will not let you ship any raw rock home or let you carry it back... trust me ive tried :)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 05:50:01 pm »
You have to have a US Agriculture Stamp to ship rock or soil to the US. I do it all of the time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JEB

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 06:51:55 pm »
Mullet, did I read your post right, " to the US" or did you mean "from the US". Also how do you get one of those stamps?
And would obsidian fall under either one of those two categories, dirt or rock.  Or would it be classified as glass.