Author Topic: cherry wood as bow wood ?  (Read 31871 times)

Offline ohiocountryboy

Re: cherry wood as bow wood ?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 12:09:45 am »
Lol I'm here I don't mind. Its useful info. So I have choke cherry? 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 12:57:18 am »
I can't say for sure.Wish I could,but if a person looks on google in your area as to what kind of cherry trees grow around you you can narrow it down I'd say.Then it's just a matter of working with the wood to see if it makes good bow wood.I kind of went by what Tim Baker said in the bow wood section of TTB4.Then made a bow from mine and judged for myself.My choke cherry here is a bit denser than my red elm but not as dense as my hickory making bows from them too.That's about the best I can tell ya.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 11:56:43 am »
im working on a bow made from cherry, it's the same cherry that i thought was yew a few months back. ill let you know how it goes.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 01:51:15 pm »
I hate the stuff.  It is near impossible to dry correctly and needs to be pampered.  You can't just seal the ends and toss it in the garage.  I don't know how to dry it, but good luck.
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 02:01:08 pm »
That's basically what I did with mine.It was well behaved during drying and I ripped my staves on the bandsaw too.Possibly was cut at a different time of year I don't know.I was able to chase a ring on it too and thought it was supposed to be diffuse porous but maybe it is semi ring porous.I really don't know.It's definitely not ring porous.You are'nt supposed to be able to see the growth rings on a diffuse porous wood I thought.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed