Author Topic: Osage & Choke Cherry Bows/Pictures shown  (Read 8729 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Osage & Choke Cherry Bows/Pictures shown
« on: June 09, 2013, 07:53:06 pm »
OK here's a couple of bows shot in here that I made lately.An R/D osage flat bow 60.5" NTN,62" TTT,49#@28".I did'nt really figure on making a bow at the classic but got caught up in the event friday night and started this one and finished it saturday morning.I did'nt take any of my tools or forms with me but thanks to Chris loaning me his I got it done.The stave had a natural deflex in the handle so I just went with it.The stave layed in the back end of my truck on the ride down from Iowa and got rained on a bunch.Could of been a folish thing to try with a white wood but it did'nt matter to osage.Mass weight is 18.00 oz.Width at the fades a scooch over 1and3/8" tapered to 7/16" tips.Sheephorn overlays on tips.Deer antler strike plate.Lacquer finish.
The second one is really a black cherry not a choke cherry @ 62.5"NTN,64TTT,53#@28".I sinewed it last March and got it shot in the last few weeks.Most of the work is being done on the inner to just past mid limbs.About 16" working per limb.One to two rings of sapwood left on.It's mass weight was 16.85 oz. before finish and handle.I had been hanging onto 2 copperhead skins for a while and used them on this bow.Black cherry was a well behaved wood drying from stave to bow.The only thing I had to do different was rip the stave on the bandsaw instead of splitting it.I would of flipped the tips some but there was a sharp deflex towards the tip on one limb and I did'nt want to push it any more.I look forward to making another bow out of this wood.Width at the fades a scooch over 1and1/2" tapered to 7/16" tips.Cow horn overlays on tips with brown silk wrappings and a leather wrap handle.Deer antler strike plate.Spar varnish finish.
Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:32:52 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Osage & Choke Cherry Bows
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:04:48 pm »
Sorry fellas my computer says an error has occurred trying to transfer these pictures.I'll try to get it straightened out as soon as I can.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 08:38:52 pm »
Hopefully u get that 'puter straightened out soon.... I'm excited to see this chokecherry bow! I didn't think we had good bow wood in Wyoming but my favorite fishing hole has a canyon loaded with chokecherry! Never thought to build a bow from it.
Gillette, Wyoming

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 08:41:07 pm »
DANG IT!!!!  >:( Hope u can get em loaded up as I'm sure there beauties ...well I know one is ;)

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 09:14:23 pm »
Damned technology making things easier for us 8) >:D
Always learning something new.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 09:15:14 pm »
Ok...I ready for the back slapping humor put on this hick about being computer illiterate.......LOL.
Yep there's not much wrong with the choke cherry as bow wood except it not being hedge.....LOL.It even kinda smells nice working with it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 09:16:48 pm »
I've got a wiz bang kid gonna work on it.If I can get him out of bed......LOL.
BowEd
Ed

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 10:09:22 pm »
Your images are probably too big. Do you know how to downsize them? I think max size has to be <200KB.

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 12:24:49 am »
Sorry fellas my computer says an error has occurred trying to transfer these pictures.I'll try to get it straightened out as soon as I can.

Another person suggested trying to re size your images and I though that I'd share a tool that I use to re-size images.  It's small and pretty fast at what it does.  The link is below. 

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 12:43:09 am »
I made a chokecherry bow last year, the wood is easy to work with and the bow has great cast for the low poundage. I too wish I had flipped the tips some and think that sinew is a great addition to this wood, I backed mine with sturgeon skin. it takes some set after being shot but returns to normal within a short time.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 07:33:13 am »
Thanks a lot munkinstein for the link,but I've got this fella that says he can upgrade my XP computer here with a couple of chips to run faster,[says he bought them on e-bay and is waiting for them to come in the mail]then I thought I'd have him straighten out the sizing on my pictures too.He's already gotten rid of a bunch of stuff on this computer that I don't need and it is runnung a little faster.Hopefully this week sometime I'll have this computer in shape.
adb....I think your right.
juniper junkie....Nice cherry bow.My strung up profile looks about the same as yours.Since you can send pictures how about some more?Liked to see that sturgeon back once.Liked to get some of that sturgeon skin sometime too.I got some elk leg tendons for ya.What is the length,poundage,& draw on your bow?Mine's got an above average cast too and is a blast to shoot.Mine starts out with 4" backset then after 4 hours of string time it gives the arrow a fat 2 and 1/2"backset to the arrow.Returns to 4" backset in 24 hours.I put a heavy amount of sinew on the inner limbs where she works the most and lightened up the outer limbs.I have a couple more staves of it and will try without sinew[maybe thin deer rawhide],flip the tips,and heat treat the belly some once.
blackhawk...better late than never right?
catnapper...If you got some 6 to 8 inch thick trees there take em home.Smaller will work too I guess.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 01:09:19 pm »
OK the hedge bow first.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 01:12:07 pm »
tips
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 01:13:28 pm »
resting
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 01:15:25 pm »
braced
BowEd
Ed