Author Topic: Rivercane in northeast?  (Read 10671 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Rivercane in northeast?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 08:09:29 pm »
                      Its not tonkin bamboo (Arundaria amablis) Looks like phragmites reed ta me also...........like jamie said in his post about it................bob

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2007, 12:40:42 pm »
Thanks Steve for the map - I'll check em out next time I'm in east TX, looking forward to some more cane to work with - I'll do it right this time :). Gotta get me a patch going like Pat's down in the bottom.
 Sorry Staver - I've hijacked another thread ;D. But we prolly bothed learned from the reply's, lot of experience on here........
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline billy

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 12:15:29 pm »
Hey Staver,

If it looks like bamboo/rivercane/reed, cut it and try making arrows out of it.  Some of the stuff when you first cut it will seem too flimsy and weak to make a good arrow, but when it dries it will become much stiffer, denser, and tougher. I've been surprised more than once by how well certain materials will work for arrows. 

I find some stuff here in Georgia that looks like phragmites reed, but I think it's a decorative reed of some sort.  I've made arrows from it, and although it is somewhat lightweight, once it dries it makes excellent arrows. If it's straight and flies well, then it will work and that's all that matters!

By the way, I conducted some penetration tests on a freshly killed deer with one reed arrow, one rivercane arrow, and numerous foreshafts tipped with tiny birdpoints.  I wrote an article about it and submitted it to Primitive Archer.  It should be coming out in the next 2-3 months.  I'm not going to give the results away, but the results were very surprising to say the least.  It's titled "Putting Bird Points to the Test."  Keep an eye out for it; it is the most interesting article I've written so far!
Marietta, Georgia