Author Topic: shorter bow length durability?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

shorter bow length durability?
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:47:59 am »
Hey guys, I read on bowyers bible 1 in the section on building an osage flatbow, they suggest making a 67” bow for a 28” draw and reducing it two inches for each inch less than that in drawlength. This is for a stiff handled bow.  Well I just tillered out a 61” stiff handled osage at 50#@28”. It seems to be holding up fine so far although the string angle is a little high. If the tiller is good will an osage bow this length hold up? I’m sure it will because I have seen bendy handled bows on here down in the low 50” range but my OCD has got me a little worried so I figured I would ask the pros!

Offline Christian Soldier

Re: shorter bow length durability?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:57:07 am »
I'm not a pro, but in my limited expierience length was just a small factor in breaking the bows I did and an unseen hinge or a cut across the rings on the back is substansially more lethal to a bow.

Length will effect how much stress is on the bow, which will effect string follow, but even in some extreme cases I've seen in really short bow, length alone (within reason), isn't enough to break a bow. Proper tiller and a clean back are much more important.

That being said, longer bows will handle stress better, and there's a bunch of other things they can do but that assumes proper tiller and design, not just length.

Any pics of this osage bow?
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:54:36 am »
Well, if you can nail the tiller and don't brace it overhigh, probably... 61/2= 30.5. So thats the ABSOLUTE max draw length... So yea, I think it will hold up IF your back is perfect and the tiller is too.
I have never used osage... I have never seen a live osage tree, never touched any of it except a 6x3x3 piece of firewood(and dang, that stuff is tight ringed)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 12:00:37 pm »
Short bows dont wear out any faster than long bows if each is built and designed accordingly. Short bows need extra width to make up for less length while long bows need width reduction to accomadate longer lengths. You have the same amount of wood doing the same work either way. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 12:13:16 pm »
Well, if you can nail the tiller and don't brace it overhigh, probably... 61/2= 30.5. So thats the ABSOLUTE max draw length...
No. He said stiff handled bow.

Short bows dont wear out any faster than long bows if each is built and designed accordingly. Short bows need extra width to make up for less length while long bows need width reduction to accomadate longer lengths. You have the same amount of wood doing the same work either way. 
+1
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 12:34:58 pm »
I don't have pics of it yet but I will try to borrow a camara and do that

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 12:47:49 pm »
Don't even worry about it, it will hold up FINE
I like osage

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 02:37:39 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,34158.0.html

This bow is a 58" static re curve, so its working limbs are probably only 22" long. It was built in 1937, and I bet it has seen some serious use over its 75+ year life.

Yes, short bows can experience more strain than long bows, but, if well tillered, and  well designed they can out last you too.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 02:52:55 pm »
Thanks guys! Thats a relief because I really like the way this one is turning out. I rarely post but I plan on posting some pics of it when I'm done. My wife got me the stave for christmas and it was only 61" long and I like stiff handled bows

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 02:58:51 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,34158.0.html

This bow is a 58" static re curve, so its working limbs are probably only 22" long. It was built in 1937, and I bet it has seen some serious use over its 75+ year life.

Yes, short bows can experience more strain than long bows, but, if well tillered, and  well designed they can out last you too.

Gabe

Thank you for posting that, that is so cool
I like osage