Author Topic: Help with rabbit hunting  (Read 5129 times)

TylerZ

Help with rabbit hunting
« on: November 17, 2007, 11:55:47 pm »
Im using a southeastern indian longbow with bunny busters as tips. My problem is finding the rabbits. I've seen them all the time before the season started and now I go to the same spot (which was on the egde of a field) and there are none. So they are in the woods. Does anyone have any tips for finding them and of course tips for shooting will be appreciated. But I need help with finding where their hiding. I pretty new to rabbit hunting. Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Help with rabbit hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 12:43:43 am »
Check along the woods edge in early morning or after sunset. They feed out in the open at night and those are probably your best times. You could try walking the woods and looking carefully for them ahead of you or walk at a good clip, bust them from their hidey hole and wait for them to come back. They usually will come back to where they were busted from.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 11:15:07 am »
What Pat said. In the winter, at least around here, the best places to find rabbits are brush piles, dense patches of blackberry/rose briars, and broomsedge fields on south-or-west facing hillsides. If you're stalking, look for their eye. It'll show up long before the rest of the rabbit.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 12:09:27 pm »
I am beginning to believe in the solunar tables, that wildlife and fish are more active on certain days and times of day, not nesicarally early and late. Any way sometines there is lots of game and others there seems to be none.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 04:43:50 pm »
Never walk directly toward a rabbit but follow a path that will get you close enough to take a shot. If you walk directly toward them they will spook and run. Also, I find aiming just below the rabbit and skipping the arrow off the ground makes it easier to hit such a small target.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill