Author Topic: waterproofing question, cowskin  (Read 13532 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: waterproofing question, cowskin
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 08:20:48 pm »
About the prickly pear juice...  I object!   ::)

It is NOT waterproof, nor does it make anything waterproof.  In fact, the juice is highly soluble in water.  It makes a nice skin lotion, though...  so you will have nice soft skin in the area that touches the quiver.

It was used on parfleche to make the colors stand out.  It makes the surface nice and shiny, like the glossy stuff they put on photos.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 08:24:33 pm »
Beeswax is your best bet.  It's what the Romans used to waterproof their hide tents.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline 4dog

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 09:02:25 pm »
Thinking im gonna need a boatload of beeswax,the quiver is not tapered,its my first quiver, didnt post it ,but will,hair is inside for stealth,its a good quiver ,but in texas now its africa hot,,lol,, as i sweat it drenches the strap.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 09:18:04 pm »
You can mix the beeswax half-and-half with some cheap paraffin wax, if you don't mind losing a little "primitiveness".  :)

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline 4dog

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 10:41:47 pm »
Was that a crack at those crappy arrows , ignore em shootin wood with turkey fletch no >:Dw buddy!!....   >:D

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 11:16:37 pm »
No, no wise cracks from me...  this time.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:46:23 am by jackcrafty »

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline 4dog

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 11:56:27 pm »
Lol  im learnin ,,im learnin.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 08:48:11 am »
If i ever meet her again, i'll ask more about the eyeball thing too. She had quite a system of softening her buckskin too
afterbrained and wrung she'd put it in an old dryer with cedar chips and tumble it dry. not exactly primitive but definitely "some good NJNuity"  :)

when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Jacko

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 09:02:09 am »
I just turned an old Anorak into an Oil Skin Jacket by applying a mix of 500ml of raw linseed oil, 250gm of beeswax or paraffin wax, 50ml of mineral turpentine. It worked beautifully. This preparation was used in Centuries past to Waterproof Tarps, Leather etc. When used on Cloth it does stiffen the Cloth some but it does loosen some. On Leather it will stiffen it slightly but not enough to be of any concern

You apply the mix when it has solidified by rubbing it over the area to be waterproofed then heat it, a paint gun turned down on Low works well. AA Hair Dryer will work just fine also

It will stink of Linseed for a couple of weeks and a slight odour of Linseed will always be present but I like the smell

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Offline 4dog

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 11:05:46 am »
Wonder if that affects hunting at all?  The linseed odor.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 11:46:31 pm »
Good question. BTW go to your local health-food store. Most likely you can get beeswax about .50-1.00$ per oz. I got a 10 oz chunk for $5.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2013, 12:09:37 pm »
cotton wood smoke, this will make the quiver repellant to water but not water proof!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 10:49:17 am »
4dog.....I hate saying this because I've had people say it to me but this leather getting sticky to your skin on a hot day thing could have been avoided by constructing the quiver with the hair side out.Your arrows in there would be just as quiet.In fact a quiver like yours is one of the quietest types made.Now about water proofing this paticular project.If your leather was chemically tanned anyway smoking it wo'nt make any difference and most any type wood used for smoking works.I've used hickory bark on countless brain tanned hides.Without smoking white brain tan it will turn back to rawhide when it gets wet.It's the tannin in the smoke that water proofs it and most woods have that in it.The leather will absorb moisture and be wet after a rain shower on it but after it dries out you can scuff it against itself and it will soften up again.Just use your quiver.If it gets wet let it dry and scuff it against each other and it'll be fine.Everybody wants a gaurantee on things.Things do not last forever and that's the bottom line.Enjoy it for years while you own it.Melting beeswax into your leather will help to a certain degree.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline 4dog

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 11:53:22 am »
Beadman, I made it to be reversable , and to an extant it is, i just havent put a strap on the hairside, the reality is i will most likely beeswax it, and put a strap to the hairside so i can in fact reverse it , just been doing other stuff, the hair is black, darkbrown, and white, should be plenty camoed, thanks for all the advice guys. Will post a pic of it reversed soon.

Offline M. Demetrius

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 10:22:48 am »
Naturally, you know that prickly pear pads resist being messed with.  We've removed about 1500 sq ft of them from our extended front yard.  Seems someone before we owned the property thought getting rid of them was as easy as running over them with a brush hog.  Not the way to do that job, honest.  ;)

Waterproofing, I'll have to try that.  I guess you skin off the green part and let the glue-like sap drip into a container?