Author Topic: Shooting off Center  (Read 6001 times)

Offline bow101

Shooting off Center
« on: June 14, 2013, 06:28:11 pm »
Just shooting in my new bow today. Shot about 25 arrows and 98% of them are going left of the target. The bow seems ok no limb twist, no hand shock.
Can't remember the paradox invovled here..      ???    ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Shooting off Center
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 07:03:06 pm »
Assuming you are shooting right handed, the spine on you arrows is likely too high for the bow.

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 07:18:51 pm »
True enough I'm right handed.  They are some new arrows, I know they are way to thick 13/32 inch. I'll make some new ones in the next couple days. Thought I could hog them down to 11/32 by sanding them, but way to much sanding...... :o

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:53:22 pm »
According to many people on this site, a heavier point will lower the spine of the arrow... 
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 12:30:25 am »
Yep arrows spines to heavy, either add a heavier point or thin them down.
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 12:35:53 am »
You can reduce the dinamic spine by sanding the center of the shaft.  Longer shafts help too. For each inch over 28" you can reduce the effective spine weight by 5#. So a 30" arrow that spines at 60# will shoot like a 50# spined arrow.  You can reduce the effective spine by adding more weight at the point end. I think it is 5# for each 15 to 20 grains over 128 grains.
 These number relate to the industry standard for wood arrow shafting but can also be used with hardwood shoots and shafts, cane and "primitive" type arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 12:42:15 am »
Yep arrows spines to heavy, either add a heavier point or thin them down.
Afraid arrows are to heavy as is around 600.

You can reduce the dinamic spine by sanding the center of the shaft.  Longer shafts help too. For each inch over 28" you can reduce the effective spine weight by 5#. So a 30" arrow that spines at 60# will shoot like a 50# spined arrow.  You can reduce the effective spine by adding more weight at the point end. I think it is 5# for each 15 to 20 grains over 128 grains.
 These number relate to the industry standard for wood arrow shafting but can also be used with hardwood shoots and shafts, cane and "primitive" type arrows.

Ya there is another tip I'll probably take on, sand the center of the shafts. Don't have any longer ones,  :)    may have to get my arrow stretcher out..... ???

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 04:21:53 pm »
Here is a simple fix, kant your bow, if you are shooting off the side of the bow you need to tilt the bow slightly to the side, even with really perfect spined to match arrows you will shoot to the left with a bow thatis not center cut.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 04:23:22 pm »
As was stated,you can sand the center,to reduce spine,but only so far.If a large amount of spine reduction is needed,you can rear taper the shaft and then sand the center portion to create a full tapered shaft.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 02:41:50 pm »
As was stated,you can sand the center,to reduce spine,but only so far.If a large amount of spine reduction is needed,you can rear taper the shaft and then sand the center portion to create a full tapered shaft.
I make kids shafts out of 5/16 cedar that way. Only the last 2 inches is 5/16. It really lightens up the spine and weight. Just taper them out.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 08:24:31 am »
What IndinaGuy said. The arrow is going to shoot left if you hold the bow straight up and it isn't center shot,most selfbows aren't. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 11:04:28 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys:::: How the nelly can you Kant the bow when you are pulling 50#....?  ???

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 08:36:10 am »
I cant most of mine at about 45 degree,each are a little different, It will move the arrow to the right if the arrow rest is right on top of your hand or if shooting off your knuckle and high right if the arrow is elevated up off your hand.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline robby

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 11:16:31 am »
Being left handed and right eyed I never cared weather my groupings were left or right of my intended aiming point. If they flew good and true to themselves, no wobbling or porpoising, I just adapted to what the set up wanted to do and after a few rounds of shooting we would be as one. Being left handed teaches you that adapting to adopt is a necessity from the get go. On the other had, if a set of newly completed set of arrows had bad flight characteristics in a certain bow I would make another set for the bow and another bow for the set that wouldn't fly to my satisfaction. It was a great excuse for building an inventory of both bows and arrows. ;D
Robby

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 11:24:09 am »
I agree if they aren't flying good,no wobble,all you see is nock then you got other problems ,but if they fly good and just hit left, [right hand shooter] I cant the bow a little more,I am right handed so if you are left handed it would be oppsit. :) I think some point of aim shooters tune the arrow to hit where the tip is pointed,not sure ,never shot that way.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good