Author Topic: stave bow question  (Read 1028 times)

Offline bushboy

stave bow question
« on: June 16, 2013, 05:37:09 pm »
Hey all,I have a stave with a few kinks.do I floor tiller then heat treat or the other way around?thx's bobbyjoe.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: stave bow question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:41:44 pm »
You need to get it thinned down so that it's not as much wood to bend, basically rough tiller then remove those kinks.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 06:14:18 pm »
Thx's I'm,one more,is it correct to think in terms that,if the tiller ,brace and the string is true on the handle it doesn't matter what's in between?I trying to fight my board builder mentalliy ,that everthing has to be even and flat!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 06:49:48 pm »
Sounds like you've got the idea.
Some sideways wiggles don't matter and just add character as long as tips and arrow pass line up.
It gets tricky to tiller if one limb is deflexed and the other reflexed, so in those circumstances it helps to do some heat bending to get 'em a bit more even.
Floor tiller, or even just about up to brace is a good place to do your corrections. It can even be done later than that. I've corrected bows that have got up to full draw.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 07:02:03 pm »
Thx's Del,I can move forward now!:-)