Author Topic: just wanted to say hello!  (Read 6443 times)

rocker

just wanted to say hello!
« on: November 18, 2007, 12:41:20 pm »
im new to traditional archery,wanted to introduce myself,i live in northern p.a.,im 26,im a husband and a father, im an avid hunter,i got sick of my componds,i just cant get satisfaction out of them anymore.a couple years ago a friend of mine gave me an old bear recurve and i fell in love with traditional,then recently another friend gave me his bear recurve so now i have a 40# grizzly and a 50# black bear,i really want to build a selfbow and ive got a piece of black locust drying right now,but im gonna have to wait awhile for that to dry out,thats o.k. though i have bows to shoot until then,i live on 132 acres that is full of bow wood,so im gonna cut some more staves sometime,i have black locust,maple,ash,and cherry.i thought while i wait for staves to dry i would build a laminated long bow this winter,since nothing needs dried for that,maybe ill even try to make some arrows too!well i guess thats about it for my introduction,happy hunting everyone!

yf
                                                                                                                                     dave

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: just wanted to say hello!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 12:45:59 pm »
Hello Dave, and welcome! Sounds like you've got the bug - it starts with just a hint of a sore throat and.......Anything you need to know ask and ye shall recieve here :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Bishop

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 09:15:59 pm »
Dave
welcome, in my opinion you couldnt have found a better place as far as pimitive archery goes, everyone here is very quick to help with a problem or offer great advice.
i am new to making bows myself, i am almost finished with my first board bow. good luck !
Bishop

jamie

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 09:28:10 pm »
welcome aboard dave.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 09:49:53 pm »
.......Ask away Dave an ya shall receive !...............bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 11:25:20 pm »
Welcome Dave. You've come to the right place.  8)       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 11:32:06 pm »
Always good to make new freinds, welcome Dave....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 08:44:19 am »
Welcome aboard! Disclaimer: Primitive archery can be habit-forming and good for your health.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 09:59:01 am »
A very special hello to you. Welcome. Feel free to use my site. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Postman

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 12:03:48 pm »
Hi -Hey - these guys are great. Also a novice,   first year humting primitive,  but due to time constraints this year, went out with a muzzleloader. killed a nice 6 point Buck at 30 feet. Wiish I would have had my bow.  Never shot one so anti-climactic (and it was my biggest yet). anyway, it definitely changes your outlook. what's more exiting, a little forkhorn  at 20 feet with a bow you've made or a 10-point 250 yards away in a field with a .308?
Haven't gotten one with mine yet, but no guns 'till i do.  (and probably after that...)

Anyway, here's an easy project I'm doing this winter, hone my skills before I desecrate some osage.

http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/oak8.htm

Might have a line on some trees to dry this winter, farmer taking a bulldozer to some osage. There should be plenty up there in PA -I grew up in Pittsburgh and it was everywhere outside the city. Check alongside the new developments / roads north of Pittsburgh in the cranberry area.
My greek is kinda rusty... Is it "Yassi, tekanate?"
Postman
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

rocker

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 06:25:04 pm »
thanks everyone,nice to meet all of you!

Tom B

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 06:48:15 pm »
welcome.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 09:07:02 pm »
Welcome Rocker, this place and the guys involved are great. You will learn all you need through this fellowship. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 09:31:11 pm »
Welcome aboard Dave, pull up a log and sit a spell. ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 10:15:14 pm »
Good to have you here, welcome.

Mark