Author Topic: Greetings from Finland  (Read 5122 times)

Offline JessaHein

Greetings from Finland
« on: June 18, 2013, 03:06:09 pm »
Hello!

My name is Jessa. I'm a natural-born Sconnie but I now live in Southern Finland. I've recently become very fascinated with bows, particularly of the tradition variety. I've always had a fondness for them when I was younger, where I got a very brief introduction to archery, but I was never allowed to pursue such interests. Now, in adulthood, I am free to do just so! I've long been interested in making my own bow(s) and in scouring the internet for information, I happened across this forum. The atmosphere seemed very friendly, so I decided to sprout some roots, hopefully make new friends and soak up all the information I can. If I seem like a total noob, I apologize in advance for dumb questions, but I am pretty much completely new to this proverbial neck of the woods.

Thanks for having me and see you around!
Jessa
Vannon, että osun omenaan!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Greetings from Finland
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:28:56 pm »
Welcome.  You've certainly come to the right place.  You'll be crankin' em out in no time I'm sure.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:48:27 pm »
Hello Jessa: there is a lot of information on this site I believe you will like it. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:26:03 pm »
Everyone in here seems to really enjoy watching noobs build their first successful bows.  You should feel right at home here!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:32:03 pm »
 Welcome , enjoy , absorb , learn , participate ,and most of all ,........have fun. These guys are a blast!

Offline JessaHein

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 08:22:34 am »
Thank you everyone for the kind welcomes! I'm certain my first attempts to build a bow will be entertaining in the least and it probably won't be long before I try, I can already feel the effects of the bow bug's bite!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 06:51:35 pm »
Welcome!  Wisconsin and Finland.  Brrr, makes me cold just thinking about those places.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 12:14:30 am »
Welcome, Jessa. It is nice to have you in our ranks. The only dumb question are the ones you don't ask.  ;)  I believe the Saami(sp) were from Finland or at least that vacinity. They had some interesting prehistoric bows. I believe there have been a few articles in PA Magazine over the years about the Saami and their bows and arrows.
 It will be nice to have another woman's perspective here. Welcome to PA.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 03:21:05 am »
Welcome Jessa!  I'm sure you know about Kuttelo?  They are one of my favorite groups.  I love their dedication to primitive skills.  ---https://www.facebook.com/stoneageactiongroup?sk=wall&filter=12
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JessaHein

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 07:20:25 am »
Tim- It's a good thing I prefer the cold or I made a seriously bad judgement call! I'll be sure to let you guys know just how buried in snow we get this year. Good thing Finns love saunas, a great way to chase away the cold.  ;D

Pat- I've seen a lot about the Saami related to primitive crafts. They are in Lapland, which is the northern portion of Finland. The distribution of population is disproportionate here in Finland, with most of the population inhabiting the southern portion while, in the Lapland, it's a lot of Saami. A lot of people have cottages up there though. The mosquitos... are so bad... this time of year up there. But the country is soooo beautiful, I can deal with nearly being eaten alive! Also, random little fact, the grounds of Finland are very rich with artifacts, so if I ever come across any cool finds, I'll be sure to share! My husband's uncle found a coin from when Sweden owned Finland, he found it out in a field while tilling!

Jackcrafty- I've heard about them, but haven't really looked that far into it. Now that I'm reminded, I'll be sure to check them out! Thank you for the link!

Thank you guys for the welcomes! ;D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 01:06:59 pm »
Have at er Jessa and remember to have fun along the way.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ncpat

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 05:53:00 pm »
Greetings Jessa, from North Carolina, in the southeastern USA. If you ever visit here, best not to do so in summer. Our summers are as extreme as your winters. You would probably be miserable. Visit in fall or spring.

Welcome to the world of archery. I am 56 and have loved archery since I was 12. I am badly out of practice but trying to ease back "into the swing". 
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 05:40:18 am »
Hello from Minnesota!