Author Topic: Spine charts  (Read 3076 times)

UserNameTaken

Spine charts
« on: June 22, 2013, 04:17:33 pm »
Working on my first set of arrows, and I'm using the spine tester off of the poorfolkbows website. The tester & the accompanying spine chart are for a 26" span. But, aren't arrows usually spined at 28"? What I'm wondering is if my arrow spines at say 50 lbs, would a 50 lb arrow from a shop be the same as the arrow that I spined with my chart?

Offline DGF

Re: Spine charts
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 04:29:55 pm »
Using a spacing of 26 inches and the 26" chart should get you close to the same as store bought shafts as the deflection is the same. Shaft diamater may show some difference when the arrows are shot from a bow. A larger diameter shaft spined 50lbs may show stiffer than a smaller diamater shaft spined 50lbs because it is further from center shot. The opposite would be true for skinnier arrows as they are allready closer to center shot. Clear as mud?

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

UserNameTaken

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 04:56:33 pm »
Makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot, Dan.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 06:19:18 pm »
A standard spine weight you can of an arrow is for a 28" arrow with a 125gr point. The deflection that gives you the standard weight is achieved by placing the shaft on uprights that are 26" apart and hanging a 2# weight from the center of the shaft.
 For arrows longer than 28" you can subtract 5# per inch of spine weight for each inch over 28" and vice versa. For point weighing more than 125 gr you can reduce the spine weight by 5# for each 20gr over 125gr and vice versa. So, a 50# spined arrow that is 29" long with a 145gr head will shoot well from a bow requireing a 40# spined arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:38:24 pm »
As long as Pat is around here we won't have to sticky this info for reference !!!
Good to know someone can still remember which end is up !!
Thanks Pat !!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 12:22:12 am »
I use the spine chart(and spine tester) I got from JamesHillSpineTester on Google.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

UserNameTaken

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 02:33:03 pm »
Thanks pat.  :)