Author Topic: Layering of sinew on horn bow.  (Read 7521 times)

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Layering of sinew on horn bow.
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 11:23:46 am »
Beadman,  To tell the truth I'm just a beginner at horn bows.   I have completed exactly one Turkish bow.   I've got a couple of projects going, including a new Turkish bow that is ready to begin sinewing.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 11:44:31 am »
Hey good deal.Your still ahead of me abit.At least you got one done there.I know for me and I bet you too that prior to making these you've done a lot of research too.I think it does help a bunch if a person has made quite a number of self and sinew backed bows prior to trying these horn bows,and just speaking for myself I have.You realize where you don't want to thin or heat and where you want to thin or heat etc. if you want a bow to hold up and shoot good.
Do you groove your horn & core too?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 02:19:24 pm »
You had to turn the kasan in the reflex before sinewed. Now sinew and horn can be peeled off with a dry heat. Kasan area should remain firmer, but you will lose by reflex when working with tepeliks.
}I{opukc is my name of cyrillic - read Georiks  ;D
cheers George

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 02:43:13 pm by }|{opukc »
Best regards from Bulgaria - George

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 03:05:46 pm »
Beadman,  Did I groove the horn and core--- yes.  Did I make the sort of interlocking grooves that are common today---no.  My grooving was a little more  relaxed.  I used an Exacto razor saw blade and pulled it over the horn and core pieces to form some deep grooves.   Ron

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 03:12:17 pm »
Gorik,  Nice bows.   Are those a Tartar style?    Ron

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 04:08:36 pm »
No, this is Bulgarian bow / Matyuhin bugor/, 5-7th century - crimean tatar bow is post otoman bow 13th century.

Best regards from Bulgaria - George

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 05:19:16 pm »
Couldn't you glue a piece on top of the limb-tip things(syaihs?) and then carve into a recurve? it just occurred to me cause I glued on recurves onto a short little elm bow.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 05:45:03 pm »
I went and made grooves that interlocked.Just less that 1/32" deep.Wrapped it with the cinching tool of rope and a stick.Extreme pressure was applied.
My core has a steamed in bend of at least 2" set back at the kasan eye area[about 5" or 6" from tip of core like the illustrated Turkish drawing] before siyah was dove tail glued in and the siyah was glued in at an angle too.My siyah did not have near the curved profile as drawing has.Then the curved horn was glued to the core to give the core a curvature too.To give it a 6" setback before sinew was applied.I'll see once how it tillers out.Gotta make those tepeliks yet.Look easy enough to make.Might make a peg board too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 05:49:03 pm »
Yes SS like the drawing at the bottom of page one of this thread.I'm pretty sure siyahs have been laminated together for a curve if naturally curved material is'nt available.
BowEd
Ed